Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1505338  by JasW

bostontrainguy wrote:Interestingly, the new info has a station called "Disney". The idea for a station on Disney property has been bantered around for a while and the last thing I remember is that WDW did not want a station on their property. Perhaps the new flashy image or Mr. Branson himself has changed their mind?
Actually, the proposal Brightline submitted to the Florida DOT called for a "Disney" station off Disney property, by the I-4 and SR 417 interchange in the northern tip of Celebration. I would imagine there would have to be car rental facilities there, unless they think people will just travel via Uber.
 #1505405  by bostontrainguy

Yeah that would be pretty much useless for Universal and Seaworld. The airport would be closer then Celebration so that would pretty much just be a "Disney" station.

And there should be a shuttle. Why rent a car that is only going to sit in the hotel parking lot for three days? Also if you are going to rent a car you matter as well do that at the airport saving time and probably money since airports are often cheaper locations.
 #1509188  by gokeefe

Never in my life did I think I would read the phrase, "60 track miles of class VII rail construction" in the context of private sector passenger rail service.

Mr. Norman,

Is it "for real" in your eyes yet? I know the financial metrics still aren't good but I have to wonder if this latest development begins to shift the perspective. We are a far cry from the early days of "bankrupt before they turn a wheel".
 #1511582  by Jeff Smith

Speeds: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os ... story.html
From Cocoa to Orlando International Airport, speed will vary slightly.

Cegelis said at Interstate 95, Virgin tracks will pass under S.R. 528 from its north side to its south side, a jog that will hold trains to 90 mph.

From I-95 to State Road 417, Virgin Trains will hug S.R. 528 – the Beachline – at 125 mph. Even motorists breaking the 70 mph speed limit on the adjoining expressway will be quickly overtaken by Virgin’s trains, company officials noted.
 #1511894  by Jeff Smith

https://www.clickorlando.com/travel/vir ... in-orlando
Ceremony scheduled at Orlando International Airport on Monday

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - A multi-billion project to bring high-speed passenger rail service to Central Florida is about to break ground at the Orlando International Airport.

Virgin Trains, formally known as Brightline, is on track to complete the second phase of its high speed rail system connecting West Palm Beach to Orlando by 2022.
The second phase of the project is a 167-mile extension. It uses existing rail along the east coast, then builds 35 miles of track between Cocoa running along State Road 528 to the new station at OIA.

Share said the end goal is to connect Orlando to Tampa, calling it phase three of the project.
More on "Phase III" in Tampa thread.
 #1511898  by bostontrainguy

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 am I am astounded at the nearly blinding speed this project is moving at. Very interesting.
Yeah, I truly believed that when FEC was sold to a Mexican railroad and Fortress was sold to Softbank, the party was over. Still can't believe that it's really going to happen!
 #1511943  by Jeff Smith

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local ... 511244001/
Work through the Treasure and Space coasts has begun "simultaneously," said Michael Hicks, spokesman for Virgin Trains USA, the passenger service previously known as Brightline and All Aboard Florida.
Construction between West Palm Beach and Cocoa will be done last, Hicks said, and will include installing a second track along the 129-mile stretch and replacing 19 bridges.

Virgin Trains is evaluating Fort Pierce, Stuart and locations in Brevard County for potential stops, Hicks said, among other sites.
 #1511954  by Arlington

Do you think it possible they could open MIA-MCO service at "excursion" speeds and frequencies (every 3rd hour) while working on double tracking the existing FEC? (Which the article says will be finished last)

A 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, & "after-event" sort could clearly appeal for the leisure, international air, and "won't drive" markets
 #1512172  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a compilation of ridership YTD 2019 and 2018

-----------2019-----2018---%TGE

JAN-------73568----17783--313.7%

FEB-------78707----24098--226.6%

MAR-------91903----32899--179.4%

APR-------71308----23320--205.8%

MAY-------85740----34100--151.4%

TOTAL----401226---132200--203.5%

Source: Monthly revenue and ridership reports required by the FDFC - the bond issuer of record.

June will be the first month for which comparisons can be made as service from Miami was inaugurated May 19, 2018.

An offhand note; did they really need Branson to "horn in"?
 #1512219  by gokeefe

They are well on their way to success. No private passenger rail startup in the U.S. has had numbers like this since well before WWII. Truly amazing figures. The corridor isn't even complete and as noted the initial figures lack available year over year comparisons with the Miami connection.
 #1512383  by Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:17 am <SNIP>
An offhand note; did they really need Branson to "horn in"?
Good question for here :wink: : Virgin Rail/ Brightline IPO, Bonds, Success