Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1510423  by RGlueck

Wilsons was a meat packing plant, receiving refrigerator cars labelled "Wilsons Car Line". Google the reefers and you'll see plenty of them. I believe the Wilson plant stood into the late 60's, early 70's. In one of the resources, either a book or on line, there are photos of them being switched out.
 #1510429  by Sir Ray

RGlueck wrote:Wilsons was a meat packing plant, receiving refrigerator cars labelled "Wilsons Car Line". Google the reefers and you'll see plenty of them. I believe the Wilson plant stood into the late 60's, early 70's. In one of the resources, either a book or on line, there are photos of them being switched out.
So that's where the Wilson plant was - there's an image in Jeff Wilsons's "livestock & Meatpacking" showing a reefer in front of a plant, and listing the location as Mineola. For some reason I kept thinking the Wilson plant was where the current Western Beef is located.
 #1510440  by tomdoyle409

Wasn't there another meat packer nearby, specifically Milton Abeles & Co? My recollection, which is very dated, is that they operated a facility on the east (northbound) side of Willis between the Oyster Bay and mainline tracks, and had rail service.
 #1510443  by Norton

Milton Abeles was actually on the east side of Roslyn Road on the north side of the tracks. They were kicked out by the state (through eminent domain) for the Roslyn Road grade crossing elimination in 2008. Interestingly, there's one small meat packer/distributer left in Mineola, located directly across 2nd St. from where Wilson & Co. was: Treasure Isle Foods.
 #1510488  by nyandw

tomdoyle409 wrote:Wasn't there another meat packer nearby, specifically Milton Abeles & Co? My recollection, which is very dated, is that they operated a facility on the east (northbound) side of Willis between the Oyster Bay and mainline tracks, and had rail service.
Swift & Co. perhaps? NE corner at Roslyn Rd. north side of tracks with siding? http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... la1958.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1511237  by RGlueck

Leading us to ask the time-honored question of "Where's the beef"?
 #1541864  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 am Wilsons was a meat packing plant, receiving refrigerator cars labelled "Wilsons Car Line". Google the reefers and you'll see plenty of them. I believe the Wilson plant stood into the late 60's, early 70's. In one of the resources, either a book or on line, there are photos of them being switched out.
Wilson Co. plug door insulated boxcar #5133 Mineola 1965 Archive: Dave Keller

These Wilson cars (WCLX) are plug-door insulated (no bunkers) boxcars, for several day (short haul) delivery.

Siding location on this LIRR 1966 map: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... la1966.jpg