Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1488977  by New Haven 1

Now that this line has been upgraded and is owned by the state of Mass. its now possible to move freight over it without taking several days as was the case when it was a 10 MPH Guilford Class 1 route. The combination of it being a Pan-Am Southern route and to a degree that Pan-Am at least beginning to realize they had better start moving traffic before competition moves them out makes for a better situation than before especially since they are now a tenant as opposed to being the landlord.
 #1490485  by jay.barnes

Got another look at the PAS/PVRR interchange in Holyoke. Bridge supports have been restored, deck and ties have been reinstalled, and, as I was driving by, rails were being reinstalled.

Looks like, barring post-work inspections and certifications, the interchange could be reactivated soon.
 #1491601  by MEC407

Fascinating!

And it's amazing to think that Mr. Judah was only 20 years old when he designed that bridge. I wonder if he had any idea the bridge would still be carrying trains 172 years later?!
 #1491635  by GU1001

Noticed a gondola at Barker Steel in Sout Deerfield this past Thursday. First time I’ve seen a car there in years. I remember they stopped getting service after an employee was killed a few years back. Hopefully they’re back to regular service.
 #1510093  by Stp243

Tie replacement is underway between Northampton and Holyoke this morning.

Also observed unit 353 idling the morning away near the Holyoke station with a NS gondola and a few of those loaded flatcars with the blue containers. Anyone know that trains ID?
 #1510397  by NHV 669

Steel for Can Am Bridges, if I'm not mistaken. I've seen Pan Am Boxes on their property as well, my sister's fiance is a welder there. The garage doors on the front of the place have gotta be close to 30'×50'