Railroad Forums 

• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1505791  by johnpbarlow

Trains typically operating under the cover of darkness on the Tier:
- 22K eb autos and single stacks to Ayer, MA
- 206 eb autos and double stacks to Mechanicville
- 36T eb general freight to Allentown
- 310 eb general freight to Binghamton

Trains typically operating in daylight:
- 309 wb general freight to Elkhart departing Binghamton around 1000
- 23K single and double stacks - midday departure from Binghamton
- 205 double stacks and empty autoracks - afternoon departure from Binghamton
- 37T general freight departing Binghamton late afternoon

-
 #1505981  by Matt Langworthy

Most of John's list is accurate, but I will disagree with his timing for 2 trains. NS 310 is usually a daylight train these days. I have photographed it several times late morning/early afternoon on the west end of the Tier earlier this year. Facebook reports and photos indicate this is still pretty common operating pattern for NS 310 these days.

NS 36T often departs Bison early-to-mid afternoon, so it too can be seen on the western portion of the Tier in daylight. With the days lengthening, 36T can also be seen on the eastern Tier before sunset.
 #1506059  by BR&P

RMB357 wrote:Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it. Hopefully we might be able to see some additional traffic once they iron out their new operations on the system
Maybe I didn't scroll back enough pages. What new operations?
 #1506074  by SST

Other than cell phone text messaging and email, I have no social media accounts. Nobody LIKES me, nobody FOLLOWS ME and I'm not a twit either and nobody subscribes to me either [sigh]. :-D

I have always gone against the grain of society. If you all jump over the cliff because everybody else is doing it, I'm likely to at least walk up to the edge, look over to see what everybody is jumping for, have a laugh and walk away. This is why I keep posting here. Just because that's the latest doesn't mean I'm going to follow.

In years down the road, FB will be bankrupt and a new "thing" will take its place and a different cliff will be jumped from.
 #1506075  by BR&P

I hear ya SST! Altho I will admit I'm starting to consider getting rid of my dial telephone. :wink:

Just the other day, I said "Alexa, play some Merle Haggard!" Not only did she not do that, but now I'm in trouble because my wife's name is not Alexa. :(
 #1506111  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote:DIAL telephone?? Don't you still have a hand crank phone somewhere?
You mean those nice old oak crank phones with two brass bells like railroads used to use for contacting the yardmaster or dispatcher? Only got 3 of them. At my old house decades ago I had them rigged up as an intercom between floors. LV and B&O used them, not sure who else. Did Erie use them on the Buffalo side, for trains which moved over the Letchworth trestle?
2019-04-17 17.28.22.jpg
2019-04-17 17.28.22.jpg (793.12 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
 #1506934  by ctclark1

I don't remember hearing anything about this previously, certainly don't remember a thread but if I missed it feel free to correct me.

https://videonewsservice.net/index.php/ ... inesville/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google shows it on the south (Main track) side of the NS tracks in the Silver Springs passing siding area. I get the impression that the land was donated or at least very cheaply sold by the farm, so they probably didn't have much choice in location. When I first saw the article, before I looked it up tonight, I had assumed that it would be closer to the Silver Springs interchange area, back in the Morton area. I'm kinda wondering if having to switch the new facility from the main track while the RSR interchange is off the siding is going to cause extra congestion there? Are they expecting enough business to make a noticeable change in traffic?