Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Stations on Miami-Orlando line

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1499626  by Jeff Smith

TCPalm.com: Virgin Trains USA ramps up its interest for a passenger station in downtown Fort Pierce

I had something on this in the original thread, but figured we could use a stations thread.
FORT PIERCE — Virgin Trains USA has ramped up its interest in developing a passenger-station complex on the Fort Pierce waterfront.

The railroad is among five developers that answered the city's call for companies interested in building a mixed-use project with a hotel, a residential component, retail and a parking garage on the vacant H.D. King site downtown, records show.

It is unknown how Virgin Trains' interest in Fort Pierce will impact the other Treasure Coast community where it is discussing a station: Stuart.

Virgin Trains USA, formerly Brightline, on Aug. 27 asked officials in Fort Pierce, Sebastian, Stuart and Vero Beach to submit proposals showing viable station locations and community support. Only Fort Pierce and Stuart showed interest.
 #1499661  by benboston

I'm wondering if there is also going to be a station in Cocoa, FL. This would be able to serve the cruise terminal, which has both cruises that terminate there, but also, cruises stop there as a destination, and this would allow for a day trip to Orlando.
 #1499888  by Jeff Smith

MassTransitMag.com: Hefty debt, station naming rights: Takeaways from Virgin Trains' IPO

How about the Railroad.net el Jefe station? Or a memorial to the Indian River County Bank Account?
Virgin Trains aims to sell naming rights to its stations. "We expect to generate a significant portion of our ancillary revenue from advertising placements and sponsorships, including the sale of naming rights for our stations," Virgin Trains reports. "We cannot assure you that demand for sponsorships or advertising (including naming rights) will be realized at the levels that we expect or at all."
 #1513822  by Jeff Smith

Palm Beach Post
Palm Beach Gardens makes its pitch for a Virgin Trains USA stop

PALM BEACH GARDENS — Palm Beach Gardens Mayor Mark Marciano made a pitch Thursday night to Virgin Trains USA about adding a stop in Gardens as the privately owned passenger rail company, formerly known as Brightline, began construction on the link between West Palm Beach and Orlando.

“In our growing city, we have a proposal for a Tri-Rail station,” Marciano said. “We want to make sure you consider a possible station for Palm Beach Gardens.”

The immediate answer was no, but Bob O’Malley, Vice-President of Government Affairs for Virgin Trains, said he wouldn’t shut the gates completely on the idea.

“We can’t stop at every single community because that would slow the trains and impact service,” O’Malley said. “But we are always open to new ways to include ridership and new opportunities.”
 #1513833  by Jeff Smith

BocaRatonTribune.com: Boca Raton potential site of new Virgin Trains station
Boca Raton City Officials confirmed they are in conversation with Virgin Trains, “Representatives will be coordinating through the office staff to set up meetings in the next two weeks (or as soon as possible) with each of the City Council members to discuss the potential for a Brightline Station in Boca Raton on the property east of the Downtown library,” the city said in an email to the Herald.
 #1513844  by Jeff Smith

MassTransitMag.com: FL: Next stop, Hollywood? Virgin Trains plans new stations between Miami and West Palm
A Hollywood official says the city recently met with Virgin Trains USA, formerly known as Brightline, about adding a stop in the Broward hamlet. Hollywood communications manager Joann Hussey said an interview that a meeting took place in June.

"We've identified an area in downtown...that we're calling University Station that we're redeveloping, with the thought of having a stop for a commuter rail line," she said. It is located east of I-95, at Dixie Highway just north of Hollywood Boulevard.

Hollywood -- and 15 other communities -- are already served by a commuter line: government-funded and run Tri-Rail. Tri-Rail trains run just to the west of I-95, stopping at Hollywood Boulevard just west of I-95.
 #1513987  by EuroStar

I see none of these towns (Hollywood, Boca Raton and Palm Beach Gardens) as having much chance of getting a station. As of right now Virgin is focused on the "longer distance" travel, not on the daily commuter even though I am sure there are quite a few daily commuters on their trains already. If Virgin ever decides to run a commuter operation or to let someone else run in on their rails, they maybe, but if these towns think that Virgin can spend money on stations and also provide the same quality of service as they do now, they are terribly mistaken.

As far as I know a stop on the Space Coast will definitely happen. A stop on the Treasure Coast is likely, but might be the last thing that they do as a way to finally beat back all the opposition on the Treasure Coast. I would not be surprised if it is the final bit of a settlement of all lawsuits.
 #1517528  by Arlington

Virgin, as *operator* may prefer long distance* but Brightline's OWNERs are in it as much for the real estate $$$ as for the fares. Stations will go wherever the real estate payback is big enough.

If a town wants to pitch a station, pitching site/parcel assembly and zoning heights is as important as pitching native trip demand.

*Even if mostly long distance (MCO to Southeast Florida), an infill station or two along the existing "higher speed" part will probably boost demand from proximity faster than it kills demand for slightly slower travel times.
 #1517534  by Arlington

Good point. The most natural mature case is that the express leaves southbound from MCO 10 minutes before the local, or that locals ping back and forth between the SE Coastal stops only.
Last edited by CRail on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1520454  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:36 am Is the ROW wide enough to support an express track to eventually bypass local stations?
Although it makes no sense to me . . .

"Brightline Innovation: First Passenger Train in the U.S. to Utilize Retractable Gap Filler" (extends up to 1 foot from train)

which allows freight trains to pass through passenger stations . . .

every station Brightline has built has a bypass!
 #1520471  by Anthony

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am
BandA wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:36 am Is the ROW wide enough to support an express track to eventually bypass local stations?
Although it makes no sense to me . . .

"Brightline Innovation: First Passenger Train in the U.S. to Utilize Retractable Gap Filler" (extends up to 1 foot from train)

which allows freight trains to pass through passenger stations . . .

every station Brightline has built has a bypass!
The bypass around each station will also serve to keep freight trains on the FEC moving because they won't be held up by passenger trains stopped at the stations.