Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture Single Level Cars for CA/IL/Midwest

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1493262  by Arlington

eolesen wrote:Lots of reasons not to like gallery cars, but ticket inspection isn’t one of them. It’s the primary advantage they hold over a split level or two level car.
This is about Intercity trains, right? Where fare collection, however it happens, is going to be EITHER:
  • Fairly leisurely (30 mins between stops) and not need a gallery car's "one pass covers two levels"
  • Probably integrated into a Rapid Transit or Commuter media, which is trending to RF proximity/tap (see MBTA AFC 2.0) or photo/gantry (EZPass), and away from visual (neither paper nor app screen)
 #1495422  by Jeff Smith

Discussion of CtDOT fleet plans: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=168928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discussion of Amfleet I replacement: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=167954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1499535  by mtuandrew

bostontrainguy wrote:Any thoughts on what the "withdrawal of the car length DCR" means?
Probably “design change request.” That said, I don’t know why they would have wanted to change the car length or to what length.
 #1499555  by bostontrainguy

mtuandrew wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Any thoughts on what the "withdrawal of the car length DCR" means?
Probably “design change request.” That said, I don’t know why they would have wanted to change the car length or to what length.
The only manufacturer who might have interest in this is Talgo I would think . . . maybe?
 #1499559  by Matt Johnson

gokeefe wrote:At LONG LAST ... Thanks to everyone at the NGEC Committee and Siemens.
The first 12 carshells are in production at Siemens Sacramento Facility and final assembly has begun on Carshell #1.
Contrast that detailed info with the complete lack of progress updates on the Viewliner II sleepers.
 #1499608  by Greg Moore

Remind me (since I don't want to go through pages of stuff) the ultimate goal: This is to replace the Horizons that originally the Bilevels were going to replace?

So assuming these cars get delivered, this frees up Horizons for some routes, which could mean freeing up more Amfleets?
 #1499641  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, the Comets won't be around forever. The Comet IIs are the oldest comets operating on NJT. The Horizon cars were based off of the design of the original NJT Comet IIs. If the Comet IIs are going to be retired soon, then I'm sure that the Horizons will as well. It will be a welcoming sight to see the Siemens single level cars operating in the Heartland and also covering trains in California as well. It sounds like Siemens will be the manufacturer for the passenger cars to operate on the majority of Amtrak routes, especially in the Northeast.
 #1499645  by gokeefe

Greg Moore wrote:So assuming these cars get delivered, this frees up Horizons for some routes, which could mean freeing up more Amfleets?
Exactly ... And the order includes some "makeup" cars that would account for the difference between bi-level and single level seating capacity.

Although the Amfleet replacement order is in progress these cars will likely enter service in significant numbers within 12 months. Consequently there should be a helpful increase in capacity on other routes or corridors.

There remains some question about what might happen to the Horizon cars. There are some interesting possibilities for these cars for the next few years as they get replaced.