Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1497032  by NellsChoo

Concerning that notice from the MBTA regarding track work last year, why would the MBTA even be involved? They don't own the track or run trains on it (other than detours). Did they perhaps know that Boston may possibly be taking the Grand Junction bridge out of service for years thanks to a Mass Pike project by the now-defunct B&A/CSX yards? (do NOT get me going on THAT topic)

ALSO, today I spotted some nifty yellow HERZOG equipment in Hill Yard (Ayer) and was wondering just what type of work the setup does. Looked very purpose-built, with what looked like flats or gondolas, some sort of power on one end, and a control unit on the other end... and a digger.

I have seen so few trains anywhere on Pan Am the last couple of years I swear the railroad is out of business...

(yes, there is a disgusted tone to my typed voice)
 #1497059  by Backshophoss

Somewhere the Green line construction will block access to the Grand Jct trackage for a time.
MBTA did a tie replacement job to bring the MAS to 25 mph,so 1 MBTA crew can do the transfer run via Worcester in 1 day instead of using 2 crews.
Other wise its a very slow drag at 10 mph to run on PAR to Worcester! :wink:
This is also the Detour route for Amtrak's Downeaster equipment swaps to Amtrak's Boston Shop.
 #1497162  by NellsChoo

I just learned that MASS Dot DID indeed buy the Worcester line... when did THAT happen??? I haven't talked to many railfans lately or maybe I would have known. But the person I got the info from is very reputable.

Can't say I am happy about the state gobbling up so many MA lines, BUT then again, it's not like Pan Am does stellar maintenance either...............
 #1500699  by cpf354

The T has rights to move equipment on the Worcester Main, which is not the same as "buying" it. I think that leads to some misunderstanding of the situation. My guess is that they wouldn't be interested in purchasing it unless they had funding in place to run scheduled service over it.
 #1500715  by newpylong

cpf354 wrote:The T has rights to move equipment on the Worcester Main, which is not the same as "buying" it. I think that leads to some misunderstanding of the situation. My guess is that they wouldn't be interested in purchasing it unless they had funding in place to run scheduled service over it.
Regardless of whether it's on the commonwealth rail plan ie wishlist active discussions are underway between parties as to what and when the sale would look like.
 #1500964  by rustyrails

I noticed at the Burncoat crossing, the tracks are missing steel in the middle of the rail. There was a derailment around the corner last winter. Does anybody know if any rehab work is in the near future? Does PanAm use SRS?
 #1500972  by rustyrails

Does anybody know what this does and where it is now? The ZERZOG
Attachments:
314E542D-9748-4DFA-A67A-7E011561C334.jpeg
314E542D-9748-4DFA-A67A-7E011561C334.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1744 times
 #1501237  by jwhite07

Now I know what to do with my HO scale stack cars. But those power cars are another question... :P
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting