Railroad Forums 

• New Dinky to Nassau Street

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1490075  by Steampowered

Extend the dinky into west windsor. Have a park and ride across from the mall on southfield road. This would be perfect 2nd station for parking and more riders Possibly extend it as far as exit 8.
 #1490097  by njtmnrrbuff

Since the Arrow III replacements might take longer than planned, it might not be too late for NJT to change its mind and just stick with a single level MU that would enable the Dinky to continue to operate if they can't get a multilevel MU that would enable one to two cars to operate on the Dinky, as well as three cars for the Gladstone Branch and the Summit locals.
 #1490207  by kilroy

Steampowered wrote:Extend the dinky into west windsor. Have a park and ride across from the mall on southfield road. This would be perfect 2nd station for parking and more riders Possibly extend it as far as exit 8.
Extend it?? They just cut it back. PU will never stand for it.
 #1490212  by Roadgeek Adam

kilroy wrote:
Steampowered wrote:Extend the dinky into west windsor. Have a park and ride across from the mall on southfield road. This would be perfect 2nd station for parking and more riders Possibly extend it as far as exit 8.
Extend it?? They just cut it back. PU will never stand for it.
Wrong way. He's referring to east of Princeton Junction through to Hightstown.

That said, no way is that happening. There are NIMBYs everywhere in West Windsor/East Windsor/Hightstown. Not to mention you'd have to find a ROW which would get super expensive.
 #1495146  by Dcell

So will the Dinky get double decker self propelled cars now that NJT has ordered them? Or is trackless trolley still possible as the TMA promotes?
 #1495235  by andrewjw

The MLV III power cars will not be cabs - so they will have to run three cars minimum. It is possible they will do this, leaving one or two of the cars closed. Also possible, they might run one or two coaches and an older diesel - no electric requirement.

A YouTube commenter claimed their NJT police friend told them a small fleet of Arrows (12) would be kept around - I don't consider this a reliable source, but this is another possible option to continue operating.
 #1495236  by njtmnrrbuff

A three car Multilevel MU set would definately cover the Dinky, assuming that it's not cut. I'm sure that on certain days like weekend days, at least one of the cars will be closed off. The Dinky still sees healthy ridership though.

I don't think a diesel locomotive will operate on the Dinky because of something with the bridge over the Delaware & Raritan Canal. The right of way is meant for MUs anyway. If NJT can keep a few Arrow IIIs that are in good enough shape to continue operating for longer, than that would be good. While many Arrow IIIs are in poor shape, there are probably multiple ones that still ride quite well.
 #1495242  by pateljones

Two cars make up a Dinky. One double decker provides the same approximately number of seats. It would be wasteful to have 3 double deckers to form one Dinky train. But Princeton will demand new trains that other lines will receive. What to do?
 #1495264  by andrewjw

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:A three car Multilevel MU set would definately cover the Dinky, assuming that it's not cut. I'm sure that on certain days like weekend days, at least one of the cars will be closed off. The Dinky still sees healthy ridership though.

I don't think a diesel locomotive will operate on the Dinky because of something with the bridge over the Delaware & Raritan Canal. The right of way is meant for MUs anyway. If NJT can keep a few Arrow IIIs that are in good enough shape to continue operating for longer, than that would be good. While many Arrow IIIs are in poor shape, there are probably multiple ones that still ride quite well.
They run with only one of the two Arrows open except during the University's Reunions (one week per year).
 #1495373  by pateljones

lensovet wrote:Who knows, maybe the folks who were saying that LRV operation is loony will finally realize that it's not a bad alternative at all.
I quite agree. Question - has an active heavy rail passenger service ever been converted to light rail passenger service anywhere in the USofA? I think passengers would not care if the Dinky switched to light rail, especially since the ride is only a few minutes. But will those of us who favor heavy rail have a problem with converting the Dinky to light rail??
 #1495400  by njtmnrrbuff

I agree that if the Dinky were converted to light rail operation, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all. If there is a way for it to get extended into Downtown Princeton, that would be good. If the Princeton Branch were to ever turn into a light rail route, it might not be a bad idea to build a station at Rt. 1 where you could connect to multiple buses.
 #1495413  by The EGE

Two locations in Boston have had such conversion. In 1929, two Old Colony Railroad branches were converted to a heavy rail extension and a streetcar feeder line (now the Ashmont Branch and Ashmont-Mattapan Line). In 1959, the Boston & Albany Railroad Highland Branch was converted to a streetcar line (now the Green Line "D" Branch).