Railroad Forums 

• Extra Trains

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1494763  by MBTA&MoreRailfan

Does anyone know if there are regular extras (power moves, wash train, etc) on the Fitchburg line? Thanks!!

- MBTA & More
 #1495666  by jbvb

Last I knew, the MBCR/Keolis Employees Timetable no longer listed passenger schedules. I expect there are scheduled deadhead moves at night, but I don't know the name of the document that explains them.
 #1495721  by GP40MC1118

The only "regular" deadhead moves are on the Lowell and Wildcat/Western(Haverhill) lines. Listed in the current
Bulletin Orders. These trains carry four digit numbers. Example: 3702/3701 from Haverhill/to Haverhill.

There are no "regular" extras per say. Most power/equipment swaps occur as needed. If you want to stretch things,
then the Readville Switcher and Power Wash Trains might come under that title. In the case of the power wash
trains, the Northside version is a job put up for bid running Sunday through Thursday during the Fall only.

D
 #1495825  by Trinnau

Nothing regularly scheduled on the Fitchburg. As D mentions above there are regularly scheduled "extra" moves on some lines because the layovers aren't big enough for the amount of trains needed to run service, but the new Wachusett layover has an unused track so it's not necessary. These trains do have a schedule and assigned train number, but they aren't publicly listed because they aren't trains the public can ride.

I have heard rumor that PTC testing will be starting on the Fitchburg soon, so there may be an extra out running for a few months while they are testing. If they follow what they did on the Lowell Line they'll be at night and possibly on some weekends.