Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1493056  by p42thedowneaster

'fraid Silver Cascade is already taken (the open air car). How about Silver Birch ? The venerable white birch tree always seems to get all the credit, but let's not forget that silver birch also bring train loads of bright yellow leaves every year! It also seems fitting to honor a variety of tree, when after all, they bring in the fall rush of visitors.
 #1493241  by John Smythe

Can anyone shed light on the following question? Who currently owns MEC #501, The 470 Club, CSRR or both as a joint venture partnership?
 #1493248  by Pat Fahey

Hi John
To answer your question on WHO OWNS THE MAINE CENTRAL # 501 the 470 Railroad Club is the Owner of the Locomotive. The Conway Scenic has nothing to do with Ownership of the Locomotive, I hope this answers your question.
 #1493255  by John Smythe

To be really truthful with you, I have heard so many conflicting stories about MEC #501 since the new owner of CSRX David Swirk took over earlier this year I just figured something must be in the works. Mr. Swirk desires to add a second working steam locomotive to the roster, is a sale agreement in the works? The 470 club doesn't have the required funding needed to meet today's materials & labor costs increases. Maybe a joint venture between the club & CSRX. Lots of speculation. I have a strong hunch something of major importance will take place in 2019 regarding #501's future. All that I have read in various reports & what I have come to know during my 3 years working on her, she is a solid candidate for a full restoration to active service.
 #1493259  by b&m 1566

Going by what I've read and been told, it is my understand the Conway Scenic is paying to have an engineering firm look the engine over at some point this winter. If the engine is deemed to be suitable for restoration then the appropriate steps will follow. Whether its a purchase or a lease agreement remains to be seen.
 #1493264  by elecuyer

b&m 1566 wrote:Conway Scenic is paying to have an engineering firm look the engine over at some point this winter. If the engine is deemed to be suitable for restoration then the appropriate steps will follow. Whether its a purchase or a lease agreement remains to be seen.
Trains, THE magazine of railroading, recently published a podcast interview with David Swirk which aligns with this.
 #1493273  by John Smythe

Thank You for clarifying the issue. MEC #501 will prove without a doubt that she remains a very viable candidate for complete restoration to operational status. I still am willing to state that given the resources & having numerous individuals going to work on her instead of 1-2 volunteers like I once was along with the late Matt Rines much can get accomplished in a shorter period.
 #1493900  by p42thedowneaster

There is some word of 1751 possibly going in for paint this winter...made known on the YouTube http://youtu.be/vyAAiTksxDk

It sounds like the pine tree green is being considered. Does anyone know if it would the simple later scheme like PAN AM 52 wore or would it have the stripes like 573?

Interestingly, the only MEC GP9 was #450, but it was acquired second hand and only wore the yellow scheme. 1751 at least has the high nose bell, so I think it can easily pose as a MEC GP7.
 #1493907  by b&m 1566

I knew it was going to be a long shot but I was really hoping for a B&M Bluebird scheme. CS over lapping to replace the BM over lapping with Conway Scenic below the cab windows I think would have looked really sharp but I also understand that scheme wouldn't really match their overall look.