Railroad Forums 

• Delaware Coast Line Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1483742  by ShortlinesUSA

Trains Newswire is reporting that the DCLR is quitting business. I'm not a subscriber, but by the way the headline sounds, the company has elected to cease operations ahead of the end of contract, which ran through the end of this year. If so, this would likely see the Delmarva Central Railroad asked to begin operations ahead of their scheduled takeover date. I'm working to see if I can get more through a local contact.
 #1483749  by ShortlinesUSA

And you can forget that. Checked with a solid source, and Trains has it wrong. Still winding down operations on 12/31/18. My apologies if that is what the article already says, but if it does, that's some "old" news they are just getting wind of...
 #1484083  by RailVet

The DCLR will continue operations up until the end. The company will continue to exist after the end of the year but it will no longer be involved in operating over its current lines.
 #1484084  by RailVet

Looking at the Trains News Wire article, I don't see anything indicating the DCLR will cease operating early. In fact, the article states, "He [Dan Herholdt, DCLR president] said the railroad's last day will be Dec. 31."
 #1487148  by RailVet

The tracks have removed inside SPI. DCLR will continue operations until Dec 31, 2018. On Jan 1, 2019 Delmarva Central will take over operations. DCLR will still be in business but not as a railroad.
 #1487604  by RockGp40

The DCLR just did work on an industrial siding in Worton, MD. Trackwork will be their core business at the beginning of the year.
 #1487720  by RailVet

As far as I know, no locomotives have been sold yet. Even before the DCLR received word that it would no longer be operating its routes after the end of the year, it had put one of its locomotives up for sale on Sterling Rail:

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=19426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's still awaiting a buyer. As for most of the others, I imagine they're still needed for ongoing operations until December 31.
 #1494005  by RailVet

The end of the DCLR's operations over its two branches is coming at the end of this month; however, I've yet to hear about which day will see the last run before the Delmarva Central Railroad takes over. If anyone hears anything, please speak up.
 #1494077  by Teutobergerwald

I second that, and also please sound-off if anyone hears about what is to become of the DCL's locomotives and caboose, especially the Alcos & MLW units. Thanks.
 #1495237  by Teutobergerwald

One day left for the DCL.....sorry to see it and the Lewes swing-bridge go. Hopefully Delmarva Central will grow the customer base on the DCL's soon-to-be former trackage.