Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1477819  by Fan Railer

Backshophoss wrote: For the M-9's=Federal funded cars for LIRR, M9A's=State/local funded cars for LIRR
You switched the assignments. The M9s are the locally funded cars while the M9As will be the federally funded cars as part of federal ESA funding.

In other news, the public now knows what the cars will sound like (propulsion and horn, which is incidentally a Nathan K2 variant and not a Leslie RS2M):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_yt3P3ZMxc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1478359  by adamj023

After the test phase, hopefully cars will be put in service quickly and new deliveries come in.

The M3 breakdowns are happening too frequently and M9’s are needed.

Was looking at the system between France, Italy and Switzerland and the trains seem to be faster and run more reliabily for long haul and commuter between those countries.
 #1481593  by MADDOG

Just this morning, coming into Penn on track 20, I decided to walk down the platform to get the 1/2/3 instead of the A/C/E and on track 21 I saw the 4 new M9's. Cars 9009-9012 coupled into a train. There were dozens of safety vested workers inside on computers and standing.
Since I cannot post photos here, I posted the 4 photos I took on Facebook.
Look up the Oyster Bay RR Museum
MADDOG
 #1481836  by Train2009

trainspot wrote:Saw a test train go to Hempstead, 4 M9s in-the middle with M7s on either end. 9010 & 9014 were the even car#s
It went by Queens Village before Noon yesterday on their way to Atlantic Terminal.
 #1485026  by ziggyzack1234

Why do they add an A to the model designation when cars are federally funded. Wouldn't it be much easier just to have one designation and a sheet of paper saying who paid for what instead of dealing with two different designations?

Here in Massachusetts we keep the name cycle going regardless of who pays.