Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1484580  by CPSK

Hi;
Can someone tell me at what point a southbound Hudson line train would change radio channels?
Do they switch to the GCT channel at or near Harlem/125th st, or would they switch over to the Harlem channel before they get into GCT?

Thanks
CP
 #1484593  by CPSK

Rockingham Racer wrote:The logical place would be at Mott Haven, where the Hudson and Harlem lines join. Just a guess, though. Dutch?
Interestingly, I have never heard a crew member on a MNCR Hudson train talk about switching radio channels. I hear Amtrak trains switching from the Amtrak Hudson channel to the Metro North Hudson channel though. I would assume that takes place just before or after they cross the Spuyten Duyvil bridge and merge with the MN Hudson line.
It would be interesting to take my radio when I ride the train, but normally I ride southbound only from Tarrytown or Croton after doing a long run (25-37mi) up the OCA (Old Croton Aqueduct Trail) from my home in Teaneck NJ.
I'll be running up to Tarrytown today, and I have my radio set up to stream audio through SoundWire to my phone, so I could listen during my ride home. My radio with its rooftop antenna can hear train crews at least as far north as CP25, which I believe is somewhere north of Tarrytown. I will be listening to the Hudson, Harlem, and GCT channels.
It could be interesting if there are any problems along the way...
 #1484616  by RearOfSignal

Hudson channel 1
Harlem channel 2
New Haven West channel 3
New Haven East channel 4
Yards channel 5

Hudson line switches to channel 2 south of CP 8. There is no GCT channel, all mainline track south of CP 8 is channel 2.

Places where radio channels change are clearly labeled on the stations page of the employee timetable. There are also signs along the ROW marking where the changes are but these can be misleading since the signs are sometimes in advance of where the change actually takes place.
 #1484641  by CPSK

I stand corrected on the location of CP25 on the Hudson div. It's just south of the Tarrrytown station, not north of it.
Do the CP's on the Hudson line start at GCT and run concurrently with the Harlem line until the split?
 #1484653  by Backshophoss

Dating back to the NY Central days,thru the PC and CR era's. GCT to MO was always listed as the Hudson Line.
While all 3 lines have MP 0.0 in GCT, both the Harlem and New Haven spun off the Hudson at MO,then the New Haven was spun off the Harlem at
Woodlawn(JO tower).
Not sure if any evidence still exists of the Port Morris freight branch that also spun off on the Harlem side of MO.

The Put had it's MP 0,0 at Sedgwick Ave,it's connection to he Hudson line was at BN tower.
 #1484670  by CPSK

DutchRailnut wrote:yes every milepost and cp is distance from GCT.
From a "track" map I have of MNCR, it looks like the Hudson line ends at Poughkeepsie. Who owns the track north to Albany/Rensselaer - Amtrak or CSX?
I assume that a new division begins there with mp's and CP's based on that division.
 #1484724  by CPSK

Amtrak dispatches the line north of Poughkeepsie to Albany? From what office? NYP or somewhere else?
And while on the subject of dispatching; can I assume that MNCR dispatchers are at GCT?
 #1484739  by MACTRAXX

Rockingham Racer wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:in fact all way to chicago I believe.
No, in the Chicago area, the CPs are numbered such as 501, 507, 509 near the Indiana/Illinois border.
Dutch and RR: Buffalo - CP437 west of Central Terminal looks to be the breakpoint where miles
on the former New York Central were recorded from NYG. From that point west to Chicago noted
by RR is measured from Buffalo...MACTRAXX