Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Commuter Rail Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1477418  by KevinSun242

Delays lasted well into the PM rush hour as they were cleaning debris and may cause some (hopefully minor) delays tomorrow morning. All trains are stopping and being flagged by the conductor. 419, 421, 424, 423, 426 were all red on the MBTA Rail app. All trains were using the inbound track at South Acton so 426 had to hold even longer at Littleton for 427 to pass.
 #1477437  by BandA

It's right next to the station! So train must have been slowing. News reported no injuries or damage to the train? And mentions a very small number of passengers.
 #1477451  by RenegadeMonster

BandA wrote:It's right next to the station! So train must have been slowing. News reported no injuries or damage to the train? And mentions a very small number of passengers.
The picture in the tweet link above shows damage to a HSP. Looks like one of the yellow bars by the steps was ripped off it's bottom attachment and bent. Also looks like their is a scrape down the side of the train.
 #1477531  by MBTA3247

The Haverhill line is hosed this evening. Train 213 died just after leaving Melrose Cedar Park. Train 293 was eventually coupled up to it, but 213 is running over 2 hours behind schedule per the last T alert, and several later outbounds are also running well behind schedule. Trains 294 and 222 (the inbound turns of 293 and 213) have been canceled.
 #1477876  by blackcap

The Haverhill Line is getting hosed again this morning, with police activity in Lawrence causing train 205 to terminate at Andover and train 212 to be stopped near Lawrence station.
 #1477900  by Dick H

From Rockingham Alert on Lawrence Delay, Trespasser fatality.
Lawrence, MA *FATAL TRAIN INCIDENT* Merrimack St IAO Old Lawrence Train Station - Services on scene with a trespasser struck by a train, reported as non viable, Transit Police requested, scene held - 6/29 - 11:25 #LawrenceMA
 #1477994  by edbear

It was LAWRENCE, opened about 1930. Previous station this side of the city was South Lawrence and there was also a North Lawrence heading toward Methuen. LAWRENCE replaced both. Several grade crossings were eliminated as part of the 1930 project.
 #1478001  by Diverging Route

Canton "Malfunction" Junction is at it again:
Providence Train 1809 (2:25pm outbound) is now operating 90-100 minutes behind schedule between Canton Junction and Providence due to a switch issue.

Affected direction: Outbound

Last updated: Jun 30 2018 04:31 PM
 #1478202  by dth9269

[Not strictly a delay related question, but I'm wondering if the change I've noticed is tied to the recent Littleton incident mentioned up-thread. Moderators, feel free to move this elsewhere.]

Since returning home from a trip late last week I've noticed the commuter rail traffic on the Fitchburg Line sounding their horns when approaching (and often right through) the Sherman St. at-grade crossing in Cambridge. This is a change in behavior, as they typically (over the past 5+ years I've lived adjacent to this crossing) only blow the horn if there was some apparent reason to do so, e.g. someone crossing the track after the gates were down, etc. I scanned the Keolis and MassDOT twitter feeds for anything on the topic, found nothing, and have started to widen the search for answers. My wife logged a question/incident report with Keolis asking for details, but has not yet heard back.

Let me know if you'd like any recordings...there's some great doppler shift from time to time, depending on the timing.

Dan