Railroad Forums 

• NYGL Dundee Spur Status - 2009-present

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1472971  by Sid Farkus

That E8 and RS-3 are certainly worth saving. The E8 was operational not too long ago, but needs work since it could not run on its own when brought to Spencer, NC. That Alco in Passaic though is just a cab. LIRR converted it to a power pack.
 #1474231  by DogBert

This explains a few things and adds color to this situation:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 245700.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYGL is attempting to fight the sale/abandonment. I'm no lawyer so I can't comment on their chances here. My guess here is they finally found a customer and started moving cars despite (or in spite) of the tax situation. I'm assuming the new 'owners' cut the track to stop more rail activity.

Clearly some mistakes were made for the IRS to seize the property. A tax burden of $70,000 shouldn't have lead to this, especially not with some assets laying around worth easily that much in sale or scrap value. No one ever wants to see stuff scrapped, but in Passaic alone there's two passenger cars, two cabooses, the FA, two GPs, two boxcars... not counting the port jervis collection.

If the real estate developers win, what does that mean for the equipment on property? Does a locomotive have the equivalent of a 'title' that would be needed to dispose of it?
 #1474473  by blockline4180

DogBert wrote:This explains a few things and adds color to this situation:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 245700.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYGL is attempting to fight the sale/abandonment. I'm no lawyer so I can't comment on their chances here. My guess here is they finally found a customer and started moving cars despite (or in spite) of the tax situation. I'm assuming the new 'owners' cut the track to stop more rail activity.

Clearly some mistakes were made for the IRS to seize the property. A tax burden of $70,000 shouldn't have lead to this, especially not with some assets laying around worth easily that much in sale or scrap value. No one ever wants to see stuff scrapped, but in Passaic alone there's two passenger cars, two cabooses, the FA, two GPs, two boxcars... not counting the port jervis collection.

If the real estate developers win, what does that mean for the equipment on property? Does a locomotive have the equivalent of a 'title' that would be needed to dispose of it?
Well, with Wilson stating that there has been recent freight moved this past year ( I believe he said they delivered 8 cars and one waiting due to severed track) then I don't know how STB will allow PSPs request for abandonment to go through... Stranger things have happened, but for now I think the evidence is on the NYGL side.
 #1478285  by DogBert

pateljones wrote:Any idea about the identity of the large customer that went out of business, that is mentioned in the filing. And what active rail customers are left along the line?

The C&D company that was transloading scrap metal in their yard.

The current customer is (if I recall right) attempting to unload plastic pellets at the same yard.
 #1490794  by DogBert

Checking back in on this...

Looks like STB ruled the new property owner can't file for exemption back in July.

No idea what this means for NYGL, other than further stalling development plans. is it even possible for the IRS to reverse their property auction if NYGL (or a buyer) paid off the tax bill? Looks like the new property developers have changed lawyers though.

For what it's worth, it's STB docket number: FD_36187_0
 #1511249  by Hawaiitiki

Has anybody heard any news here? When was the last actual movement? After mid 2018, there really doesn't seem to be any public documentation or statements or documentation regarding the status of this spur.

Last I heard, line was severed (don't know how, why, or where), somebody bought the spur at a tax auction, but the completed sale has been stalled in litigation. Seems like this poor spur is on its final curtain call. Aside from some storage and the Northern Branch to Englewood, seems like Bergen County has seen the last of its active rail spurs/branches

NYSW Lodi Branch, dormant for years
NYSW Garfield Branch, only storage on severly reduced trackage
NS Carlton Hill Spur, dormant for decades (but still not abandoned)
 #1511323  by DogBert

This june 10 filing reports that it is over. No more RR.
https://www.stb.gov/Decisions/readingro ... /47049.pdf

"NYGL states that, thereafter, it entered into negotiations with PSP and that the parties have reached a settlement in which NYGL has agreed to abandon the Line. NYGL filed the petition for exemption in accordance with the settlement agreement. NYGL states that the Line has not had a significant amount of traffic since 2009 when its last customer went out of business. According to NYGL, starting in 2017, it renewed efforts to market the Line as a transload facility, and those efforts led to handling about eight carloads of traffic, which NYGL states is insufficient to produce a profit and enable NYGL to rehabilitate the trackage. NYGL states that PSP and the local governments wish to reclaim the right-of-way for urban redevelopment, and local planners seek to redevelop the area for residential and commercial purposes."

Hopefully the settlement agreement entails removing the equipment from the yard. I'm not sure where it would go or who would want it, but some of it is in pretty good shape, and there can't be many FA cabs left in the world. There's also the one DME hopper in the yard that does not belong to the RR or PSP, so one might assume that will have to be returned to the interchange intact? (unless maybe the settlement also includes PSP or the city or someone paying it's owner to buy/scrap it? No idea how that one would work).
 #1511349  by airman00

UGH! That really is horrible. Stupid redevelopment... I get that business is bad, but couldn’t there have been SOME way to at least railbank the row or somehow save the rails. We are destroying our rich NJ railroad history!
 #1511362  by riffian

Anything is better than the piles of garbage, feces, needles and various other nasty things which littered the right of way before they started cleaning it up for development..
 #1511392  by DogBert

Drove past today, equipment is still there, but the old engine house is gone. Demo crew was on site cleaning up & fixing the fence.

The building was a wreck and probably in danger of collapsing during a good storm, so it's good that it's gone regardless.
 #1511489  by cjvrr

DogBert wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm Drove past today, equipment is still there, but the old engine house is gone. Demo crew was on site cleaning up & fixing the fence.

The building was a wreck and probably in danger of collapsing during a good storm, so it's good that it's gone regardless.
That wasn't and engine house. That was the building used to dump construction debris and other garbage and transload it to high sided hoppers. It burned twice.....

It was torn down just last week, week of June 10th.
 #1511490  by cjvrr

Yes the Erie E-8, getting fairly rusty, the RS-3 and several passenger cars are still sitting on and near the turntable in Port Jervis as of June 2nd.
Sid Farkus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 am Anyone know if the equipment in Port Jervis is still there?