Railroad Forums 

• Foxboro Commuter Rail Extension

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1451287  by DaWolf85

As of Nov 17, trips towards Foxboro (starting with the game train on the 26th) are now listed in the GTFS schedules published for use by developers, and reportedly will be visible in the real-time data as well. Trips coming back from Foxboro are still not supported, although the MBTA developers say they're planning to add support for that "in the future". This is another step towards making it similar to other Commuter Rail lines.
 #1458173  by Ryanontherails

So I've been thinking: for the layover facility, why not put it down in the small yard by the Mansfield station? I have several reasons why this would be a good idea:

1. The tracks are (or appear to be) already there.
2. This allows for additional rush-hour capacity to and from Mansfield and/or possibly Attleboro; no deadheads from Boston or trains like #843.
3. The possibility of running at least some trains Mansfield-Boston via Foxboro as well.

Of course, I've always wanted to see passenger rail to Providence along that line and not have to wait for either RIDOT do decide to do it or wait for both them and the MBTA to come to Woonsocket. And it does have its issues (the grade crossings in Foxborough, possible environmental, neighborhood, etc.)
 #1480410  by neman2

ezcheez wrote:I heard yesterday that the new interlocking in Foxboro will be called "GOAT" :-D
So I guess "Brady" was already used somewhere else?
 #1492616  by elecuyer

Looks like an 11-month pilot service to Gillette to/from Boston South Station will be starting in May 2019:
https://patch.com/massachusetts/foxboro ... boston-may

Fair use quote:
An 11-month pilot program for commuter rail service between Gillette Stadium and Boston will begin this spring, following an unanimous vote from the board of selectmen.

The agreement, which was approved by the MBTA's financial control board over a year ago was managed in a joint effort by the town, the MBTA, MassDOT, and the Kraft Group which owns Gillette Stadium. Over that span of time, specific concerns residents had such as noise, trains blocking roads, and sitting idly overnight were addressed. According to the board, many concerns from residents spawned from reported issues of CSX freight trains blocking intersections in town and making noise early in the morning.
 #1511087  by CRail

According to what?
 #1511191  by CRail

According to the MBTA, “A year-long pilot of weekday Commuter Rail service to Foxboro will begin in the fall of 2019.” Sources I’m familiar with concur. Unless you have additional information to the contrary you can share with us, or unless your name is Joe Pesaturo, you cannot speak for the MBTA.
 #1511289  by BandA

What's left to do before they start up service? I assume there is still an acute coach shortage and supply of locomotives is tight.