Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#616957  by Jtgshu

Yea it happens, usually later on in the day especially if there are screw ups/train cancellations, etc. Some trains run as shuttles before heading up to Hoboken (on say 2312) - If a RT is cancelled or really late, and another crew runs it, or whatever, the train will be 'backwards" for the Hoboken trip because it had one less trip around the loop. Also, if there is a problem with the cab car, they have the "luxury" in BH to just run the train loco east instead of having to run the loco around the train, they would would have to do in other places.
 #1436312  by time

Some of the PL42AC's seem to be blowing a lot of blue smoke. Is that normal for a 12 year old engine? The Geeps don't blow smoke nearly as bad as some of the PL42ACs have been. Wondering if this is an indicator for a shorter than expected life span.
 #1436422  by ApproachMedium

Blue smoke? Thats probably oil. They might be getting close for that top deck overhaul. If the smoke is black then its too much fuel, white too much air. When these came they put out entirely too much black smoke because the fuel system would load the engine up real fast for quicker take offs. thats since been modified.
 #1436460  by NaugyRR

ApproachMedium wrote:...When these came they put out entirely too much black smoke because the fuel system would load the engine up real fast for quicker take offs. thats since been modified.
That's a good way to burn a hole in the top of your pistons, haha :-D
 #1436581  by time

They're blowing blue. Lots of blue. One left Broad Street station the other day and left half of downtown Newark in a blue fog - hahahaha.
 #1436704  by liftedjeep

I was not aware of a PL42AC thread, until just now!

That being said.... I live along NJT's Atlantic City Line and have notice that all of the 42s are gone and have been replaced by Geeps (I'm not complaining!) For a while, it was all PLs and an occasional GP40. Now it's just the Geeps. Someone did tell me that the PL42s were "outlawed" on the ACL a few months back, but I never got a reason why.
Has anyone else been made aware of this and does anyone know why the PLs are not making the daily trek to Atlantic City anymore?
Thanks!
Ben
 #1436713  by ApproachMedium

I dont have a clue but ill ask my source, the GPs were well suited down there because they are fairly reliable and they really can only do 6-7 cars and keep schedules. The PLs are better suited on lines that need MLV service or running 6-7-8 comet cars. It seemed like a waste to me to have them down in AC. Maybe now that more of the 4200s are back online from being repaired that probably gave them a few more engines to be able to put down there and bring the PLs back north.
 #1474266  by pateljones

I see the new budget has a line item for rebuilding these orphan locomotives. How many are still in service and how reliable have they been lately? Will a rebuild have to meet new emissions standards?
 #1474346  by ApproachMedium

A rebuild is not a new build, so they can stay at Tier 0 standards. Rebuild will probably just be a replacement/overhaul of the prime mover, air compressors, trucks, repaint etc. Nothing crazy. They wont invest in anything like a new propulsion system etc.
 #1474351  by DutchRailnut

Correct on a overhaul the locomotive stays in EPA tier it was classified in , most commuter locomotives are tier -0 and are grandfathered for life of locomotive.
Unless owner does major changes to propulsion system .
 #1474402  by lensovet

If I'm reading Wikipedia correctly, shouldn't the existing engines already be tier 1 compliant? Would something like 16-710G3B-T2 (which is tier 2) be a simple drop-in replacement?
 #1474437  by ApproachMedium

You cant just drop in an engine, the control systems for EFI would also need to be changed. The EFI controller on the PL42AC is EMD but has been specialty integrated into the Alstom ONYX propulsion system.
 #1474443  by trainster78

I guess since we’ve managed to bring this old thread back, we can talk about why NJT is still keeping 4020 around..
 #1474505  by ALP45DP 4515

trainster78 wrote:I guess since we’ve managed to bring this old thread back, we can talk about why NJT is still keeping 4020 around..
Per the thread "PL42 4020", 4020 will be the first to go out for overhaul. Maybe one of the NJT confidants :wink: can help us?
steemtrayn wrote:I was told today that 4020 will be the first PL to be sent out for overhaul.Don't know when, or where.