Railroad Forums 

• Outbound freight?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1406461  by NIMBYkiller

It has been many years since I've posted on the NYA forum (maybe 8 years?) and I doubt many from back then are still here. Either way, does NYA do much business in terms of outbound freight? Manufacturing is really quite limited on the island, and from what I remember hearing, truckers hate coming out here because it means empty miles going back. I'm guessing it's the same situation for NYA, or am I wrong?
 #1406493  by rr503

Almost all outbound freight on the NYA is trash of one sort or another. MSW from NYC, C&D from the island, waste paper from all over, and scrap metal.
I can't think of any customer that loads a manufactured good heading west.
 #1406519  by DogBert

Also recycled glass out of Jamaica.

0 manufactured products that I know of. Goods in, garbage out. (which is better than the 1990's, of goods in, empties out)
 #1406562  by Sir Ray

NIMBYkiller wrote:It has been many years since I've posted on the NYA forum (maybe 8 years?) and I doubt many from back then are still here. Either way, does NYA do much business in terms of outbound freight? Manufacturing is really quite limited on the island, and from what I remember hearing, truckers hate coming out here because it means empty miles going back.
Well, I for one never left :P.
It would be nice if the various Long Island based IDAs would use their funds to attract new or expanding businesses that create significant new employment by developing and producing services and goods to sell outside the region. you know...Industrial Development, as opposed to giving tax breaks to local car dealerships and fitness centers.
Don't worry, I'm sure County Executive Mangano and Supervisor Venditto will shortly be taking action to rein in this out-of-control crony capitalism...oh, wait.
 #1406563  by Backshophoss

4 Seasons Sunrooms has a plant on the island,mostly structure componets for the sunroom/greenhouse.
There are VERY few "legal" places to park a big rig on the island,NO truck stops,just a very few "fuel stops" that can handle big rigs.
Only on the LIE(I-495) "Rest Areas".
Some "clean" office waste(shredded paper,baled),and "clean" cardboard(crushed and baled)waste will leave by truck from
town owned recycling plants,sent to paper plants to be turned into pulp for reuse.
 #1406628  by freightguy

One area which I'm surprised they don't pounce on more is the production of food. Instead of these conglomerates making Pasta in West Virginia or Cool Whip way upstate why not bring some of that stuff here for the Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens market alone. I understand cost of labor and electricity but this is one area where they may actually be competitive. Also carloads of raw materials for all the micro breweries popping up. Blue Point owned by Budweiser produces beer for a good portion of East Coast. These aren't major revenue(hazmat) producing carloads but stuff that nimbys really couldn't complain about that much if it was produced here. Long Island could use a few larger industries like this and back haul the finished goods towards the city verse coming from Albany and Pennsylvania.
 #1406648  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:One area which I'm surprised they don't pounce on more is the production of food. Instead of these conglomerates making Pasta in West Virginia or Cool Whip way upstate why not bring some of that stuff here for the Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens market alone.
Dunno, why not ask Entenmanns and Stroehmann (Tastyee) among others?
OTOH, according to Newsday a small bagel bakery (Bagels by Bell) is moving to Oceanside from Canarsie, thanks to generous support of tax-payer money from county IDA. Seems to be too small to require rail service.
 #1406711  by freightguy

Entenmmans took deliveries out of the Big Apple transload in Hunts Point before it closed. That and Hostess closing were a big hit to flour carloads up there. There is still a ton of bulkmatic style food grade trucks coming to Long Island from all over. Same guy who oversees Hunts Point is out at the Brookhaven Rail Terminal.

Interesting how stuff is interconnected. Southern Container used to produce boxes for Entenmanns and a bunch of local pizzerias. Those inbound paper carloads were part of that business. I'm not sure why AJM stopped receiving carloads in Pineaire to make bags. The list goes on and on.
 #1406722  by Crabman1130

DogBert wrote:Also recycled glass out of Jamaica.

0 manufactured products that I know of. Goods in, garbage out. (which is better than the 1990's, of goods in, empties out)
The cars carrying the goods in are leaving empty and the cars carrying debris out are coming in empty.
 #1406798  by DogBert

True, but in the 90s, it was only loads in, empties out, killing CR's profit margins east of hudson. The GM plant closing in tarrytown didn't help. This called into question how long conrail would keep servicing the bronx. They were already pulling back, selling the aggregate rights to P&W around 1993 and new haven to CT southern.
 #1406834  by Sir Ray

DogBert wrote:. The GM plant closing in tarrytown didn't help.
When you reflect upon it, the retreat of US Domestic auto production facilities from the East and West coasts over the past few decades is a bit stunning. Tarrytown, Linden, Edison, Newark Delaware, Wilmington Delaware, Baltimore MD, Norfolk VA and so on (let alone plants that closed in the '80s or earlier like Mahwah). Domestic production plants (include Honda, Toyota, VW etc) seem to be Mississippi Valley oriented (including Ohio, Texas, and Alabama), with a few in South Carolina and Georgia.

Anyway, another manufacturer will be closing on Long Island, Triumph Structures of Westbury (Aircraft components), shifting production to other facilities out of NY State. So the 30 jobs coming to Oceanside (Nassau) from Bell Bagels is now counterbalanced by 90 decent jobs vanishing from Westbury (Nassau). Wonderful.

In the meanwhile, the Hempstead Towns Supervisor is moving to fire all members of the town IDA for granting unnecessary tax breaks for Green Acres Mall expansion (which everyone pretty much knew would have happened without said breaks, much like the tax break for Honda to open a new dealership on Sunrise). This is a bit personal with me, as I own property in the area, and those tax breaks the IDA granted contribute to an increase in the property tax on that property.
Right now the Long Island IDAs look powerless to bring in companies which will create new decent paying jobs, and instead seem to operate under a "Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash" for their buddies mode by twisting the definition of "retail" as tourism...

Meaning...Good luck increasing outbound export of non-waste-based rail freight from Long Island.
 #1406868  by Backshophoss

There was a whole bunch of $$$ spent to raise bridges to allow Tri-racks and the 85 ft parts Boxcars to access GM Tarrytown.
That was supposed to cut down on the truck traffic thru the Downtown to/from the plant to reach I-87(NYS Thruway).
Then GM retreated from the area,leveled the plant.

Most of Long Island went from farmland to suburbs as the Developers swept thru, most of the factories were
in Brooklyn and Queens with the exception of Gruman and Fairchild-Hiller,the aircraft/spacecraft manufacturers.
 #1407100  by DogBert

Removing height restrictions has resulted in the ability to use hi cube boxcars, no? Are the trash cubes standard height or more?
 #1407601  by DaveBarraza

Is there still a height restriction around Fresh Pond Yard? I understand that the NYCT bridge is going to be rebuilt soon under a capital contract.