Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1354567  by peconicstation

The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.
In tandem with this, Blue Line service disruptions continue on weekends with that line running in 2 segments.
A shuttle runs back and fourth between State Street and Maverick on the outbound side and Maverick to Wonderland on the inbound side.

Ken
 #1354595  by MBTA3247

The EGE wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:
The EGE wrote:That's rather odd. Southbound trains still have to use Brattle Loop, and unless they want to only use half of Park Street they'll have to run trains through to GC loop.
There's a crossover between North Station and Haymarket. I suspect they'll change ends at Haymarket, so no need to use the Brattle Loop.
As far as the maps I have available show, there is not a crossover between them (only a short siding off the northbound track). Has this changed?
The crossover has been there since at least 2004.
 #1354626  by octr202

Interesting that the Blue Book schematic shows the new North Station yard under the Garden, but not the crossover between Haymarket and North Station.
 #1369335  by Rbts Stn

Reopening on March 26

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... ews_latest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since closing for renovations in March 2014, the MBTA had said the project was scheduled for completion sometime in the spring of 2016. The project has remained on schedule throughout construction, but a specific opening date had not yet been announced.
A rare "on time" performance!
 #1369350  by djimpact1

acela 2036 wrote:Well let's see if they actually really hold down on that date, looking forward to it though!
I wish for once, I could read a reply that started off with a somewhat optimistic statement/tone.

And what if they don't hold down on that date...then what? A scoop of verbal dung will be flung at them, as is done daily by so many?

I wish the 2nd half of your statement was the sole part of it. It is truly a great thing to look forward to. Sorry to sound analytical or like I'm attempting a personal attack; it just screams why we don't deserve nice things related to the T...skepticism reigns supreme when the T does ANYTHING, good or not.
 #1369518  by The EGE

The planned Cambridge Street headhouse was built as exit-only rather than a full headhouse. That would have reduced the walking distance to Bowdoin by over one-third and provided equally good access to the buildings along Sudbury and Somerset. Without the second headhouse, it appears Bowdoin will remain open, likely at its previous limited hours. It has an ADA exemption anyway, so the only real cost to the T is one CSA and the electric bill.
 #1369520  by Arlington

The EGE wrote:The planned Cambridge Street headhouse was built as exit-only rather than a full headhouse. That would have reduced the walking distance to Bowdoin by over one-third and provided equally good access to the buildings along Sudbury and Somerset. Without the second headhouse, it appears Bowdoin will remain open, likely at its previous limited hours. It has an ADA exemption anyway, so the only real cost to the T is one CSA and the electric bill.
Wait, Gov Center was going to get a second headhouse? There's no "was built", right? Just planned-but-cancelled?
 #1369611  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Sorry if I implied Bowdoin was closing. I meant I will miss using it as my daily station.

I was at the first community meeting all those years ago. People were pissed when they changed their mind and made it and exit only. I was one of them! The initial plan was for it to be a second head house as Edge referred too. I might have the original drawings at work.