Railroad Forums 

• System Map

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1316826  by BostonUrbEx

In a stunning coincidence, the system map has now been updated as of today, just four days after the thread was made.
 #1316840  by The EGE

Great work on the part of the author. Lots of little errors cleaned up, and it's a lot more clear what's going on.
 #1316844  by newpylong

B&M 1227 wrote:What's the deal with the North Bennington scenario, where Pan Am operates to North Bennington to interchange with VTR but according to the map does not explicitly have trackage/haulage/overhead rights?
They have trackage rights w/no customer rights.
 #1317063  by Otto Vondrak

MEC407 wrote:I have a paper copy of the map and I believe I saw our own Otto Vondrak credited in small print. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions if you send him a PM.
I was wondering how long it was going to take you guys to notice. ;-)

http://ottovondrak.com/illustration_02a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously, this is probably one of the more fun jobs I have ever worked on. I've drawn dozens of maps OF railroads, but this was one of the first I've drawn FOR a railroad. I thought I knew a lot about Pan Am, turns out there's more to life than District 3/4! It really was an honor to help create the first official Pan Am system map, and probably the first major update to the old BM/MEC/ST map in 25 years. I have a copy of the old "CAD" map from the 1980s, I hope this new map is just a little better than that.

Of course, in any project of this magnitude, a few errors are bound to creep in. Rest assured they will be corrected in future editions.

-otto-
 #1317068  by H.F.Malone

Otto, I noticed as soon as I opened the copy that PAS / PAR passed out at their shortline meeting last March. "Sure looks like Otto's work", and sure enough, your credit was right there. Nice job!

HFM
 #1317109  by MEC407

I agree — super nice and I'm planning to frame mine and hang it on a wall.
 #1317133  by dnelson

Is there a version updated from the one linked to at beginning of thread? I can't find one. Some pretty major corrections needed in Maine. The Hinckley Branch should have Hinckley listed as its destination, not Shawmut. On the Lewiston Lower Branch (Lewiston Industrial Track), Pan Am has trackage rights on State of Maine owned track to Lisbon Falls, and full ownership from there to Lewiston (though the owned portion is long out of service and partially torn up). Also, no connection from SLR Lewiston Branch to Pan Am main line. Never has been, never will be. Also, SLR runs as far as East Deering in Portland. Those are some basic ones at least.
 #1317208  by Otto Vondrak

dnelson wrote:Some pretty major corrections needed in Maine...
Thanks for noting the corrections, but if you're posting them for my benefit, please realize I can only take direction that comes from the railroad itself. So if you see some errors you think need correcting, I'd contact the railroad's Marketing Dept. directly with your suggestions to incorporate them into a future edition.

-otto-
a contractor for hire with a mouse and a pen
 #1317209  by BM6569

Can you edit your copy in advance of the railroad possibly contacting you?
 #1317213  by MEC407

PAR Marketing Department contacts:

http://www.panamrailways.com/index.php? ... ting_sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1317285  by dnelson

Sharing with permission from an email.

"Thanks for the observations, my comments below:

• Hinkley –you are technically correct, except everything billed to/from Sappi uses the rail station of Shawmut, it’s been like that since the mill was built. It is confusing enough that the mill calls itself Skowhegan and we call it something else, so I’m leaving it as Shawmut.

• Lewiston Lower - We have rights to serve customers (local freight rights) so it is a solid line. The only dashed lines we used are in places where we don’t have customer access (overhead trackage rights). The PAS legend needs to be corrected to reflect that distinction, but ST’s is correct. We operate on a lot of different trackage rights agreements and the old way we showed trackage rights always confused shippers less familiar with the ins and outs of railroading. To fix this we went with the way NS and CSX do it - showing full access rights as solid line with owning road noted in a label. It is much easier to explain where we go and what access we gave to a shipper who is unfamiliar with our system.

• Auburn –There should a gap here but they share the same station name so it was easier to have one point. We’ll change it on the next revision.

• SLR E. Deering – things change, when the map was published the abandonment of this line had been approved and it looked like that was that. It will be reinstated in the next revision.

I’ve already got a marked up copy in my office, as we are getting ready to do a general revision. Our supply is running low and another printing will be coming soon, so if you see other corrections let me know.

Mike Clements
VP Marketing
Pan Am Railways (ST/PAS)"
 #1317558  by shadyjay

Really nice job on the map, Otto, especially the addition of the VRR (VALE) in CT. But a couple things do stand out to me: The Brattleboro-Windsor (VT) section is shown as a solid line, indicating PAS ownership, which hasn't been the case since c 1988. Also the St Johnsbury-Gilman (VT) stretch is still shown as being a PAR line. Given its been many moons since a train operated on that line by B&M/Guilford successor CSF/NH&VT, the map gives the impression that service is still provided on that line.

Just my $0.02. Still a great job and much much much better than the system map that used to be on their site before it was redone.
 #1317643  by NHV 669

shadyjay wrote:Given its been many moons since a train operated on that line by B&M/Guilford successor CSF/NH&VT, the map gives the impression that service is still provided on that line.
I do recall spotting GTI equipment in spots (the jct. in St. J, The shack in Whitefield) into the early 2000's, a few years after I saw 669 pull some boxes past Maple Grove. That's half the moons of the rest of the mountain, (how many millions already spent?) and it would still be more reasonable given the three active railroads it would connect.

The only thing holding them from getting service there is customers (the dead mill) themselves, and of course, a solid amount of track repair. There's no service, simply because there's no one to serve.
 #1317724  by newpylong

There would have been no need for any GTI equipment that far north unless NHVT or Twin States was leasing it. Gilman was closed in 1999 and that was the effective end of the VT side of the Mt Div. That was GTIs only way into ST J or Whitefield as the Woodsville/Berlin branches were OOS.
 #1317763  by NHV 669

newpylong wrote:There would have been no need for any GTI equipment that far north unless NHVT or Twin States was leasing it. Gilman was closed in 1999 and that was the effective end of the VT side of the Mt Div. That was GTIs only way into ST J or Whitefield as the Woodsville/Berlin branches were OOS.
I stand corrected, then. I've read the Berlin branch was early 90's, (I wasn't old enough to see tracks on it) and if my memory is correct, everything past Industrial Park Rd. in Littleton was torn up roughly 1997-8ish.