A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#115381  by CN9634

Ive been on the Downeaster from Portland, ME to Boston, MA
Serveral Trains from Portland, ME to Bethel, ME on the SLR
From Brunswick, ME to Richmond, ME on the old Maine Coast
and from Conway, NH to Bartlett, NH (Spelling?) on the CSRR

#116333  by Derek Bernier

I also rode the DownEaster, Acela Ex, the Toronto Subway including the Scarborough RT

i also rode on the MBTA's red line (entire length), the orange line to forest hills, plus a little tiny stretch of the blue line.

#116396  by njtmnrrbuff

Derek,
in your neck of the woods, I have ridden the entire Needham Line for commuter rail as well as the Attleboro, but on Amtrak. Getting to subway, without realizing it, I have ridden a lot of the Orange Line. Forest Hills to Back Bay(been seen from any train in the cut. On the subway itself, I have ridden to N. Station. I have ridden the Red between S. Station and Harvard. Next up in the Boston area will be a trip on the Downeaster to Portland as well as a few commuter lines out of N. Station. I know the Downeaster travels most of the Lowell.

#116435  by capltd29

fortunately for me, my mom likes to travel on trains too, so i have a FEW (20,000+) amtrak miles, on the:
Regional
Colonial
Cardinal
Crescent
Capitol Limited
SW chief
Auto train
Silver Star
Silver Palm

Empire Builder Over the summer!
No west coast........yet!

#116498  by AmtrakFan

capltd29 wrote:fortunately for me, my mom likes to travel on trains too, so i have a FEW (20,000+) amtrak miles, on the
I love to travel by rail but my Dad hates being copped up in them but he loves to drive.

#116617  by Lirr168

I've never posted on this forum before, but I figured now would be a great chance to jump in. I take the LIRR everyday to get from my home on the island to my high school in NYC. It can be a lot of fun for a railfan like me, but there are also a ton of problems, like when the trains are running hours behind schedule!

#116664  by capltd29

AmtrakFan wrote:
capltd29 wrote:fortunately for me, my mom likes to travel on trains too, so i have a FEW (20,000+) amtrak miles, on the
I love to travel by rail but my Dad hates being copped up in them but he loves to drive.
What?!?!

That's plain foolishness, he doesnt wanna be copped up on a train that is nearly 10 ft wide, but he likes to drive?
:P
You need to talk some sense into him.

On another note, my dad also doesnt like to travel on the train because its too "slow", thats fine because i dont like the Superliner Family bedroom anyways!!!!
BTW, How old are you?
When can one travel by oneself on Amtrak?

Jon Parker

#118828  by Derek Bernier

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Derek,
in your neck of the woods, I have ridden the entire Needham Line for commuter rail as well as the Attleboro, but on Amtrak. Getting to subway, without realizing it, I have ridden a lot of the Orange Line. Forest Hills to Back Bay(been seen from any train in the cut. On the subway itself, I have ridden to N. Station. I have ridden the Red between S. Station and Harvard. Next up in the Boston area will be a trip on the Downeaster to Portland as well as a few commuter lines out of N. Station. I know the Downeaster travels most of the Lowell.
That's what you said, at least you're the other one to ride in my neighborhood, but I've also taken an Amtrak train to Miami last year when I vacationed with my buddies, was a fun time.

#119135  by mc367

CN9634 wrote:Ive been on the Downeaster from Portland, ME to Boston, MA
Serveral Trains from Portland, ME to Bethel, ME on the SLR
From Brunswick, ME to Richmond, ME on the old Maine Coast
and from Conway, NH to Bartlett, NH (Spelling?) on the CSRR
Are you talking about the Sunday River Ski Train that used to run up to Bethel in the mid 90's? That was one of the first things I got when I started taking pictures.

I would like to ride the Downeaster sometime, actully got some shots of it at Wells on Saterday.

-Justin Franz

#124060  by PacificCommand

i have roughly 25000 miles under my belt-- but i travel amtrak by myself a lot.

First alone trip i think i was 9ish

#124089  by AmtrakFan

capltd29 wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:
What?!?!

That's plain foolishness, he doesnt wanna be copped up on a train that is nearly 10 ft wide, but he likes to drive?
:P
You need to talk some sense into him.

On another note, my dad also doesnt like to travel on the train because its too "slow", thats fine because i dont like the Superliner Family bedroom anyways!!!!
BTW, How old are you?
When can one travel by oneself on Amtrak?

Jon Parker
Jon,
I am 15. I plan on doing a transcontinental Trip alone at 18 or 19. I have tried talking my Dad into taking the train he is well to do makes 6 Figures and is an Excutive. I have tried for the last 8 Years to go on the Empire Builder took me 4 Years to try to get him to do it until I said Screw it and went with an Aunt.

John

#124689  by jogden

i just did an almost transcontinental trip...i went from Boston to Provo, Utah on the train. it was an awesome experience.

#125180  by Mike Walsh

I ride the Late Shore Limited (I think theres a discrepancy in the spelling there, oh well LOL), and The Texas Eagle.

I also took amtrak #300 to chicago a day earlier than I had planned to return to RIT (college), so i could visit my girlfriend and her family and spent the night there, then she and I took the EB Late Shore Limited back to Rochester.

I also get to DRIVE THEM!

http://www.wfprr.com/pics/Updated%202005/2005-2.jpg <- thats me at the controls.

One of my friends who is the same age as me and works there too, just got accepted to work at the Nevada Northern RY as a Shop helper to start out with, then will work up the ranks. he knows his stuff. I'm still workin' on it.

Mike
 #129814  by Steam

Mike,

Where is that large scale miniature steam railroad in your link? Looks like about 15 inch gauge. Please give details !!

#130241  by MetraRy

Lets see.. I've been on metra, amtrak, and some museum operations.
this summer i plan to ride caltrain and bart