Railroad Forums 

• Bay Colony Millis Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1291838  by craven

Stopped by Sunday (9/7) to see what was going on.

1701 is parked up the spur by the GAF plant with two empties near the switch with de-railer set. Nothing else on the line.
 #1294089  by craven

Sunday, 21 Sep. there are (2) Full DPCX ( #327 & #338) on the side of Island St. awaiting to be off loaded.

One empty (#334) on the siding under the Rt. 27 bridge with the 1701 parked by the GAF plant waiting the next move.
 #1294368  by fogg1703

Anyone know the routing of these cars? I assume these cars are coming off PAR at Barbers and not Rotterdam Jct. Are they being dropped at Worcester to be taken east or brought all the way to Selkirk and then brought back East?
 #1294396  by fogg1703

GP40MC1118 wrote:Last I checked they go west to Selkirk, then back to Framingham on Q422
That was my impression as well. Long way to go and a lot of chances for misroutings along the way. Must be some good rate. Lets hope all involved can continue to make it work.
 #1294945  by railman616

Cars for the Bay Colony Millis line come east on the Q436 to Framingham. Than switched out and sent south down to Readville on B731. The Med Junction switch is facing point going south so the next day return B731 takes the cars back north and sets out the cars at Med Junction then.
 #1296577  by craven

Stopped by Saturday (10/3)

1701 is parked by the GAF plant with nothing on the line.
 #1297450  by craven

Update Sat. 11 Oct.

Been busy this week with 9 Cars waiting to be off loaded by Island Road.

NAHX 94012
NAHX 94084
DPCX 317
DPCX 329
DPCX 332
DPCX 335
DPCX 336
DPCX 337
DPCX 2801

1701 is back in her nest by the GAF Pant.

Would have been enjoyable watching her pull these cars into position.
 #1297460  by MaineCoonCat

craven wrote: 1701 is back in her nest by the GAF Pant.
!WARNING! This may be a dumb question!
Out of curiosity, how big of a deal would it be for BCLR to be able to run west (south?) to the other former GAF facility at 1073 Main St? I know the place is "for lease". Is there potential for them to gain a customer?
 #1297630  by fsdemasi

I took some pictures on Friday. Here is the group of Dragon Cement Cars. I wonder why the cars would not be routed by Pan Am to Everett then to CSX over the Grand Junction to Framingham, then South to Millis on the Framingham Sub interchange at Medfield JCT?

From the Dragon Cement WEB site:
Dragon cement is distributed throughout New England through four primary facilities: the Thomaston cement plant, Coastal Cement’s Boston terminal on Boston Harbor, and Coastal Cement’s Newington, New Hampshire terminal, and Dragon's Windsor Terminal in Quebec, Canada.

Dragon’s Thomaston facility is capable of loading bulk product for transport by truck or rail. The dispatch center, located in Thomaston, manages our own fleet of tank-trucks and rail cars, while arranging the transportation of cement to our customers. Additionally, Dragon operates a multi-modal train and ocean-going barge from Rockland, Maine to our Coastal Cement terminals in Boston and Newington, where the cement is bulk-loaded into customers’ trucks.
 #1297648  by GP40MC1118

Probably would take longer than going to PAR to CSX/Worcester to Selkirk
to Framingham!

Also, I am not sure if CSX and PAR/ST still have an official interchange agreement
in Boston. CR/B&M used to swap cars at what is now Steward/Swift Interlockings
behind BET/Fitchburg Route respectively, but this hasn't happened in over 15 years.
There never was an official interchange between the two in Everett that I know of.

At any rate, with the Green Line project about to take one or more tracks in that
area, it wouldn't be possible.
 #1297649  by fogg1703

fsdemasi wrote:I wonder why the cars would not be routed by Pan Am to Everett then to CSX over the Grand Junction to Framingham, then South to Millis on the Framingham Sub interchange at Medfield JCT?
No interchange between PAR/CSX at Everett. As stated previously only Rotterdam Jct and Barbers are interchange locations. No setoffs or switching occurs between Barbers (PAR) and Selkirk (CSX).

Tresca had been using the Boston Terminal unloading the barges into their fleet of trucks, however have now gone to receiving the railcars.

Anyone know if any other cement company is unloading there as well, or is it just Tresca? I'd imagine these movements will begin to slow as the construction season winds down.