Railroad Forums 

• Reviving passenger service between West Trenton & Bound Brook

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1289957  by MACTRAXX

SP: Good find - but I noticed the strange station order listed...It should be:

Belle Mead
Hopewell
West Trenton
Jenkintown
Wayne Junction
North Broad Street
Philadelphia -
Reading Terminal

MACTRAXX
 #1290049  by Ken W2KB

RWERN wrote:My understanding had been that some if not all of these signs at the Communipaw terminal are not the original articles.
None are original. The originals were a roller of painted canvas similar to a window shade. They were kept in the draws (not visible in the photo, but immediately below the bottom of the photo). The proper one for each train was taken out and rolled up to display. Each train had a sign, with the time it departed, etc. The ones there now are painted on the structure.
 #1290070  by MACTRAXX

Ken W2KB wrote:
RWERN wrote:My understanding had been that some if not all of these signs at the Communipaw terminal are not the original articles.
None are original. The originals were a roller of painted canvas similar to a window shade. They were kept in the draws (not visible in the photo, but immediately below the bottom of the photo). The proper one for each train was taken out and rolled up to display. Each train had a sign, with the time it departed, etc. The ones there now are painted on the structure.
Ken and RW: I suspected that this sign was a reproduction after noticing the stations not being in the proper order...
The original would have had the correct station order - and were not actual signs to begin with...MACTRAXX
 #1415041  by Steampowered

Mumphrey O. Yamm wrote:Why did it fail? I don’t want to wade through 18 pages, so maybe somebody can give me the rundown.
If you look at the amtrak 2030 plan, it appears the track will be used as a high speed bypass for acelas, to keep traffic off the nec to nyc. But who knows ?
 #1415161  by lensovet

Mumphrey O. Yamm wrote:Why did it fail? I don’t want to wade through 18 pages, so maybe somebody can give me the rundown.
because no source of funding was ever found. the only thing NJT seems to be able to fund is new loco purchases and that's about it. i mean we don't even have the money to replace the Arrows, much less create new lines of service.
 #1415764  by OportRailfan

sullivan1985 wrote:
ryanov wrote:How do signals work for a diamond?
The same what they do at any other interlocking.
The relays go "click, click, click" and the SDU upgrades the cab signals. That's how signals work, right?
 #1596015  by JohnFromJersey

Didn't Septa used to go all the way to Newark on this line? From what I've heard, Septa seems to be in a better spot than NJT at this moment, could they do some sort of joint service to reduce the economic costs?
 #1596046  by amtrakowitz

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:30 pm Didn't Septa used to go all the way to Newark on this line? From what I've heard, Septa seems to be in a better spot than NJT at this moment, could they do some sort of joint service to reduce the economic costs?
Conrail used to go all the way to Newark from Philadelphia, under SEPTA and NJDOT. This was a continuation of the old Reading Crusader service, which used to run to the CRRNJ Terminal in Jersey City from Reading Terminal, rerouted via the Aldene Plan and not permitted to run to New York Penn. Since the end of this service coincided with both the end of Conrail passenger service and SEPTA’s takeover, which also entailed the closure of Reading Terminal and the end of all SEPTA diesel service, SEPTA would have zero interest in prodding NJT to join forces to revive this service to a terminal that no longer exists and would require some kind of technical complexity to run into the Center City Commuter Tunnel.