Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Commuter Rail Work Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1225910  by diburning

The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.
 #1225918  by BostonUrbEx

diburning wrote:The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.
How'd they build the siding? Was the Southampton commuter/Amtrak yard's tail track relocated? Or is it elsewhere? When I saw the equipment, that's where I thought it was, but I'm not too familiar with the area, could have been somewhere further south?
 #1225981  by diburning

We're going off topic here as this would turn into a subway work equipment post, but I'm going to respond anyway in case we decide to make a new thread for this or decide to include subway work equipment discussion in this thread in the future.

The siding is between JFK/UMass station and Columbia Junction. The siding is on the west side of the tracks. It appears that it's hooked up to the yard lead to Cabot on the Ashmont side and not to the main.
 #1226098  by sery2831

There is a tail track off the Cabot lead on the outbound side. Is this where we are talking, or this a totally new installation of track?
 #1226148  by sery2831

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!da ... !1e3&fid=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lowest track is the tail track I am referring to. It has always been there, but overgrown. It had third rail it's entire length at one time. Guessing you notice them rebuilding it?
 #1226230  by neman2

diburning wrote:The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.
Railroad Construction Company is not associated with RJ Corman. Check out the website here-

http://www.railnj.com/about-us.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1229074  by TJ209

Caught these MBTA MOW vehicles at the North Chelmsford wye. Weird because these tracks are owned by Pan Am and haven't seen an MBTA train in... ever, as far as I know. My assumption is that they were making their way over to the Fitchburg Line from Lowell, but that's a shot in the dark. Does anyone have any insight on this?
 #1229109  by BostonUrbEx

This is a complete guess, but maybe they came from the Haverhill double tracking project and were heading to the Fitchburg project. Not sure that Andover - Lowell - Chelmsford - Ayer is any faster or less disruptive than Andover - Boston - wherever they're working on the Fitchburg.
 #1229186  by sery2831

It is common for MOW moves to operate over the Stony Brook from Lowell to Ayer to save time.
 #1259689  by KB1KVD

Not exactly MBTA work equipment but the Loram switch grinder arrived on property yesterday on the north side.
 #1590138  by JacobKoppel

In preparation for the MP36s to return from rebuild, Keolis renumbered some conflicting Maintenance-Of-Way equipment. The fleet of 20 Side-Dump cars are rostered as MBTX 1 to MBTX 20. MBTX 10 & 11 were conflicting the 2 MP36s (010 & 011) within the Ulmer System because any 0's that come before a digit that holds a numerical value are not read by a computer. (For example 011 would be read as just 11) To alleviate this issue Keolis recently renumbered side-dump cars MBTX 10 & 11 to MBTX 21 & 22 respectively.