Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1210321  by TheOneKEA

ARGH!!! I thought long and hard about buying a ticket for this train and was all set to buy one when I learned about the sellout!

What are the chances that Amtrak either adds more cars to the train, or runs another train the next day or the next Saturday? Clearly, selling out twice suggests that doing so is unlikely to result in a less than full train...
 #1210349  by Noel Weaver

I think only if Amtrak were to receive requests for reservations/tickets for double of the number of available spaces on this particular train would it even be in their interest to do another trip the following week. I have worked on trips years ago and I recall one particular steam trip that we sold out about a month in advance. We considered running the train again the following day but ruled it out, we had to return a lot of checks but by running just the one trip we made a decent profit for our causes and if we had tried to do a trip the following week we had no gurantee that it too would be as successful and in some cases it probably would not have been. A couple of very positive notes from this situation, Amtrak judged by the appeal of this trip might well try another trip over another interesting piece of railroad maybe next spring sometime and if they do that, I'll bet the folks that got left behind on this one will be quick to respond to the next one. Lets all stand by and see what happens down the road, I would be willing to bet that they will be more.
Noel Weaver
 #1210370  by Earle Baldwin

Echoing Mr. Weaver's post, I believe the great response in the form of brisk ticket sales for Amtrak would bode well for future trips. Also encouraging for the overall prospect for excursions in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region are the many overwhelmingly positive reviews I've read regarding last week's Lehigh Limited trip. If these trains can generate sufficient ticket sales and be run without causing delays to regular traffic, I'm confident there will be more.

Amtrak's announcement of its own excursion put me in mind of how the New Haven once vigorously pursued the leisure market in the form of enthusiast, shopper and sightseer specials.

Bob
 #1210482  by dt_rt40

Darnit...like Mom says, don't put off what you can do today! Amazed that they sold out that fast. I was a "victim" of the ill-fated Conrail historical society first Port Road excursion in 2008. Stuck in the aisle seat of a SEPTA bomber, separated from the window by a grumpy retired German hausfrau and her even more elderly friend who only spoke German. I was not permitted to violate their "personal space" to take pictures...if my hand so much as left the area paralleling my seat, I got a loud "SCHTOP". NO, I'm not making this up.

But anyhow, big picture, good for Amtrak, I'm glad they're doing this. How often do they do excursions that are general admission like this? (i.e., not a case of an organization chartering an entire train, as happens somewhat often)
 #1210491  by JimBoylan

I don't recall Amtrak ever doing exactly this before. They did run scheduled special trains with a dome car for the 1974 World's Fair in Spokane, Wash. I think that trips to auto races at Dover, Del. were Amtrak affairs, although trips to the Del. State Fair were arranged by the state. In years past, when the Texas Eagle was detoured through Eastern Illinois due to higher speed rail construction between Chicago and St. Louis, Amtrak's MidWest Marketing Department (or something similar) had that the seats that couldn't we used by intermediate riders were available to rare mileage fans. Maybe that official has been promoted to the NorthEast?
 #1210548  by jp1822

Lot of potential for "Amtrak Rare Mileage" out of Philly or even Harrisburg, particularly involving the Susquehanna River (e.g. the line north up the river from Harrisburg etc.). Even a trip down to Dover or Harriginton, Delaware would likely be popular. Amtrak just needs to know the financials on where there profit and loss is with said trains so that they all come out profitable. The rate being charged is very reasonable, in my opinion, and an even higher rate could be charged for premium services (e.g. business class, dome - when not under wires).

I was even thinking of picking up two tickets, but they are at sold out status right now! Will keep checking back. I would think cancellations would flow in during October time frame, but you never know.
 #1215363  by nomis

A Second Opportunity at a Trip Like None Other on Sunday, November 3, 2013

Due to popular demand, a second trip has been added to the Autumn Express excursion. Come along for this historic train ride, departing from and returning to Philadelphia 30th Street Station on Sunday, November 3. See key landmarks and other significant sites along the route, such as Rockville Bridge, Shocks Mill Bridge and Enola Yard.

Tickets go on sale Wednesday, September 18 at 10:00 am ET, and are sure to go fast. Reserve your seats quickly.

http://www.amtrak.com/fall-foliage-aboa ... mn-express
 #1215481  by Sisko24

Thank you for this notice. I just saw this on the Amtrak site and not being truly wide awake, I tried to register for it now (at 2:50 a.m.) But I'll be registering there later this morning. All Aboard! :-D
 #1215550  by Sisko24

I'm sorry you weren't able to buy a ticket for this trip. I'm not surprised by what you report. I bought my ticket precisely at 10:00 a.m. and the system seemed to be slow (on a T-1 connection which is saying something). I'm guessing there were alot of folks on their computers, tablets, etc. just waiting to pounce at 9:59 a.m.

The one thing this may show to Amtrak is that they have an eager fanbase who would love to go on their fantrips, particularly on a weekend. May this be the first of many. And may you have much better luck the next time around.
 #1215551  by Jersey_Mike

Rare millage does strange things to people. When the Harrisburg Chapter has done this trip in the past it A) costs more and B) leaves from Harrisburg so Amtrak's Philly departure is preferable in several ways. Cool part about the Sunday run is that I can photograph the train while driving back South on Sunday :-)