Railroad Forums 

• A Railfan Code of Conduct

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1192656  by hazmatmess

MEC407 wrote:
hazmatmess wrote:DO NOT yell at kids (unless their life is in danger) to be quiet because you don't want their voices in your video. Deal with it, young children get excited to see trains (especially my son). I try to keep him quiet when someone is filming but he's 3, he gets excited easily.
I'd much rather hear the happy sounds of kids excited to see the choo-choo than hear a bunch of adult railnerds yacking in the background, trying to out-do each other with how much rail knowledge they have.
Well that's good to hear. Too many times "your kid's screaming is ruining my video!" Now I try to keep him quiet or move to a different area but he's 3. LoL
 #1192666  by charlie6017

hazmatmess wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
hazmatmess wrote:DO NOT yell at kids (unless their life is in danger) to be quiet because you don't want their voices in your video. Deal with it, young children get excited to see trains (especially my son). I try to keep him quiet when someone is filming but he's 3, he gets excited easily.
I'd much rather hear the happy sounds of kids excited to see the choo-choo than hear a bunch of adult railnerds yacking in the background, trying to out-do each other with how much rail knowledge they have.
Well that's good to hear. Too many times "your kid's screaming is ruining my video!" Now I try to keep him quiet or move to a different area but he's 3. LoL
I'm with you and MEC407. These young children like your and many others can be the next generation of railfans. Even if not,
hearing the excitement of children when they see a train is music to my ears. Maybe it's because I'm a Dad and my own boy enjoys
seeing trains.

My thoughts on people shooting video......if they don't want other people's voices in there, then they should shoot somewhere that it
is quiet.....away from train stations and the like.

Charlie
 #1192680  by ACeInTheHole

Hazmat and Charlie... You guys gave me an idea for another one.. And this one is probably more important than every other one... Make sure you ALWAYS have more video of your children than your railfanning excursions... Because nothing is more important than the little ones. :-D.
 #1192733  by lirr42

Here's a useful tip...if your taking videos or photos of a train and somebody (railroad employee, police officer—local or railroad, anyone) says something to you, just walk away. Don't put up a fight or contest them. It's not worth getting in trouble, arrested, etc. chances are trains will be there tomorrow, or some other time. It's not worth it.
 #1192748  by charlie6017

beanbag wrote:Hazmat and Charlie... You guys gave me an idea for another one.. And this one is probably more important than every other one... Make sure you ALWAYS have more video of your children than your railfanning excursions... Because nothing is more important than the little ones. :-D.
Well said. :wink:
 #1192752  by ACeInTheHole

Backshophoss wrote:Comedy Central self created material(aka Tosh.0)is not that great to begin with :(
Agreed. I never watch it, but still. Ha.

Thanks Charlie.
 #1193182  by hazmatmess

beanbag wrote:Hazmat and Charlie... You guys gave me an idea for another one.. And this one is probably more important than every other one... Make sure you ALWAYS have more video of your children than your railfanning excursions... Because nothing is more important than the little ones. :-D.
Couldn't agree more. :-D
 #1203960  by Idiot Railfan

Here's one I forgot: No flash photography unless previously arranged with the crew. An unexpected flash can blind and distract an engineer.