Railroad Forums 

• Advertising on Railroad.net

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1094247  by Jeff Smith

I do pass along feedback to the site owner as well. Have the multiple pops stopped? I still only get one a day, and I avoid it by opening the window, getting the block warning, closing the window, and then reopening. I mostly use IE9, because frankly I'm a maroon.
 #1094258  by Patrick Boylan

I thought you were more a mountain ash scarlet.

Using Firefox when I first enter rr.net I still get 1 popup block message, then 1 popunder or popup when I first click on anything, then no other popping ads until my next windows session.
 #1094273  by Patrick Boylan

That's not what you said
Jeff Smith wrote:I avoid it by opening the window, getting the block warning, closing the window, and then reopening.
I don't close and reopen the rr.net window. I open a Firefox browser, go to rr.net, get the block warning. When I click subsequent rr.net links in that first browser I get either a pop up or a pop under. I can't be sure which it is, sometimes I use 1 monitor, sometimes 2, and sometimes my quick fingers click faster than my machine, so they might all be popunders, just with 2 monitors there's more chance that they're visible popping under empty space, and if I'm quick on a click maybe I make an under window go on top of an ad before I see it.
Still I don't consider 1 ad getting past the blocker to be enough bother to complain, but I do consider it impossible to resist nitpicking your posts.
 #1094324  by MEC407

I've been blissfully unaware of any ads, popup/popunder or otherwise, ever since I installed AdBlock.
 #1094446  by ApproachMedium

One of my friends complained to me about the pop ups the other day. Firefox user. His older PC was having slow issues so I gave him GoogleChome and adblock plus. I have not seen any popups for a few months now on my machines using chome with the adblock plus add on. Looks like thats working out well.
 #1095002  by BandA

Noel Weaver wrote:I am getting hit with multiple pop-ups every time I try to read a topic or post. It is messing up my computer and I am considering a total withdrawl until and unless this problem is corrected. I suggested to the previous ownership years ago that instead of pop-up that they consider a reasonable annual charge in order to post on here and I make that suggestion again now. I would rather do that than continue with the situation as it seems to be now.
Noel Weaver
Try using Firefox browser with plugins: noscript, adblock-plus and ghostery. Or you could just turn off pop-ups.
 #1095387  by rslitman

Today, I am suddenly getting multiple pop-ups. I am using Internet Explorer 8. I think this is retribution because I figured out that I could avoid the daily pop-up by right-clicking on a message title and choosing Open in a New Tab. Plain old left-clicking on the title is what got me the pop-up before.
 #1095546  by charlie6017

To be honest, Jeff might as well close this thread. The pop-up ads I seriously doubt will go away. I think it's up
to us to find a way to combat them, such as browsers with pop-up blockers, etc. We're just beating a dead horse!

From my stand-point, I'm just gonna deal with it. I enjoy interacting with the others on here, and for the record I am
getting just one pop-up a day. That, I can live with.

Charlie

#1095551  by MEC407

I highly recommend AdBlock / AdBlockPlus... it has really improved my web browsing experience, on all sorts of sites but especially this site.

(Again, I must reiterate that I don't feel good about depriving the RAILROAD.NET site owners of revenue, but due to the invasive and aggressive nature of the ads they chose to deploy, I had no other choice.)
 #1095635  by charlie6017

MEC407 wrote:I highly recommend AdBlock / AdBlockPlus... it has really improved my web browsing experience, on all sorts of sites but especially this site.

(Again, I must reiterate that I don't feel good about depriving the RAILROAD.NET site owners of revenue, but due to the invasive and aggressive nature of the ads they chose to deploy, I had no other choice.)
I second MEC407's recommendation of AdBlock/AdBlockPlus. Those work extremely well with my systems!

www.mozilla.com

Charlie
 #1095808  by ApproachMedium

Dont forget google chrome users can go to the Chrome app center and get the Adblock and Adblock plus ad ons for chrome. They work VERY well on Linux, Mac and Windows.
 #1096564  by 25Hz

Jeff Smith wrote:I do pass along feedback to the site owner as well. Have the multiple pops stopped? I still only get one a day, and I avoid it by opening the window, getting the block warning, closing the window, and then reopening. I mostly use IE9, because frankly I'm a maroon.

I currently have 11 popped up ads in the span of 4 minutes they popped up.
 #1102122  by Backshophoss

With all the political ads running currently,my "content advisor" is working overtime,
Running "In private" filter mode seems to slow the "crap" level down,and a DAILY cookie removal run helps.
DO a DAILY cookie delete when signing off RR net.
 #1137335  by Patrick Boylan

I just noticed one of the rotating banner ads at the top of rr.net pages is for http://riverliness.com/. Although I commend them, or the robot that places ads, for picking a railroad related venue, curiously I couldn't see anything on their page that capitalizes on their closeness, less than a block, to NJ Transit's Riverline Cinnaminson station.