Railroad Forums 

• AOE Derails in Mexico

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#103876  by Scoring Guy

I don't know all of the details, but apparently some track failure caused the AOE I to derail somewhere, and the means to rectify the matter in Mexico, post haste, doesn't exists.
I know this because, I was scheduled to be on the next American Orient Express "Copper Canyon" trip (departing Tucson March 9) and that trip has been canceled as well and it's the last AOE Copper Canyon trip until fall. I'm now rebooked on the same trip in November ( with an expected additional discount)
Plus I'm forced to re-book my connecting Amtrak reservations to now coincide with the November trip.
What a bummer.

#103957  by AmtrakFan

That sure stinks.

#104707  by Scoring Guy

Thank's for your sympathy Mr. Amtrakfan.
I noticed that you're from Downers Grove, IL., which happens to be where the offices of AOE are located.
Perhaps you could cruise on over and pass on your comment to them, and get more details.
Having viewed video of the rail line through that part of Mexico, I can understand how this could happen; in places the track was barely visible because of all the weeds growning in the ballast.

#105097  by Gilbert B Norman

While I have only made the trip aboard a CHP DMU "Autovia" during 1975, the ascent from Suffragio (San Blas) to the Baranca del Cobre, I assure you, is one of the most spectacular rail journeys in North America.

The canyon eclipses Grand Canyon in scope.

So be patient, Mr. Johnson, and enjoy the luxury of the AOE when visiting this utterly spectacular piece of real estate.

#107174  by AmtrakFan

I prorably should but I don't have the time. I have seen the US verison in Seattle before.

#107827  by Scoring Guy

Interesting - my first sighting of the AOE was finding it parked at the west entrance of Glacier National Park, in the late 90's (before it had acquired the full length domes) - I had never heard of the train up until that moment, but I knew then, that I had to ride that train.

The US version, , ,
(actually there are two almost identical train sets, except AOE I sports an ex-NYC observation car, while AOE II has used a variety of leased obs/dome cars at the end)
is the same as the Mexican version, except that in Mexico a Mexican locomotive cabs the train, just as a CN locomotive cabs the train in Canada - I believe that AOE has acquired an ex-Amtrak F40-PH to serve as the power car for these across the border journeys - they were giving that locomotive a "test drive" on my previous AOE trip.