Railroad Forums 

• PRSL coal hoppers

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1012876  by mebucko

Hello!
I have a question from a new member!
I would like to do a PRSL train, consisting of the coal hoppers used in the '60's, for delivery to the B.L. England power plant in Beesley's Point, NJ. I have a PRSL AS16 on order (Bowser).
Is this a correct engine, and what would be a correct hopper, consistent with this time era?
Thank you very much for any advice you can give me!
Cheers to all,
Bill
 #1013943  by glennk419

Baldwin AS16's are very appropriate for this era. The PRSL did not own any revenue freight cars so any mixture of Reading, Pennsy and B&O hoppers would be appropriate. Bowser also offers PRSL cabooses to round out your train.
 #1013990  by Steam man

Lots of B & O 3 pocket hoppers in the Reading trains that used to set out their cars on No.1 track south of Brown. Some Reading and Western Maryland mixed in, don't remember too many PRR hoppers, but that don't mean there weren't any, I just don't remember. On occasion I saw the entire Reading train with the RS3s and Reading Company hack taken over by PRSL crews at Pavonia and the whole lot driven to Beesley's Point.

Early 60's cabin cars would be like this:

Later on it would have been the transfer type cabin car
 #1014149  by mebucko

Hi Glenn and Steam Man!
Thank you so much for the replies - exactly what I was looking for! I'll be making up a shopping list!
One other question - I have read that the trains were sometimes combined with tank cars - headed to the power plant in the same consist. If this is true - any suggestions for the tank cars? I saw a photo (from a bad angle) that seemed to show a black, single dome tank cars, but couldn't make out any markings.
Thanks again for the help! I live in Beesley's Point and wish I had taken photos at the time they were running!
Have a wonderful weekend, and Cheers to you both!
Bill
 #1014333  by glennk419

Hi Bill,

While unit coal or oil trains were certainly the norm, it's likely that hoppers and tank cars were occasionally mixed. This would probably have been more likely to occur when empty cars were returned to Camden. I've also seen pictures of other merchandise cars, specifically box and lumber cars destined for Ocean City or Wildwood, tacked onto a Beesleys Point train and dropped at Tuckahoe to be picked up by locals. As for the tank cars, most of the pictures I've seen are of 36-40 foot, single dome cars and virtually all of them were black.
 #1014458  by mebucko

Thanks, Glenn!
Much appreciated! Based on your info, I just found a 36 ft., single dome, undecorated. I also have bought a Bowser caboose, and am having fun searching for the coal hoppers.
Thanks again for all the advice!
Cheers,
Bill
 #1023271  by Vertical Hit

besides the usual B&O C&O WM and occasional Reading hoppers brought into Camden by the Reading which ran down the Clementon Branch, when the generating station located in Beesley's Point started up and was in need of stockpiling a coal reserve the PRR would run heavy 150-200 unit coal drags consisting of circle dot PRR hopper cars down the passenger tracks of the C&A Main Line to Winslow. Power would be anything from heavy PRR induction antenna road units to Baldwin center cab transfer units also with induction antennas. was a welcome sight breaking up the monotony of the regular hopper cars that came in on the Reading transfers
 #1023602  by bluedash2

If you're modeling the 60's, then yes the AS16's ruled but keep in mind that the GP38's were used on coal/oil trains too starting when they arrived in '67 and '68. The plant opened in April '62. Good luck.
 #1026023  by PRSL2005

Vertical Hit wrote:besides the usual B&O C&O WM and occasional Reading hoppers brought into Camden by the Reading which ran down the Clementon Branch, when the generating station located in Beesley's Point started up and was in need of stockpiling a coal reserve the PRR would run heavy 150-200 unit coal drags consisting of circle dot PRR hopper cars down the passenger tracks of the C&A Main Line to Winslow. Power would be anything from heavy PRR induction antenna road units to Baldwin center cab transfer units also with induction antennas. was a welcome sight breaking up the monotony of the regular hopper cars that came in on the Reading transfers
I like to know where you got this information, running 150 to 200 car trains on the main line? Hogwash!

The contract for Beesley's Point coal was with the Reading. As was said before these trains were powered by either PRSL power (DRS-4-4 1500,AS-16 or GP38) or Reading power ( AS16, RS3, SW1500,SW1200M) With up to 120 hoppers from the RDG, B&O, WM, and later C&O .

The PRR had the contract supply coal to the power plant in Deep Water. You would have seen any kind of PRR freight power on those trains with up to 80 to 100 cars not "150-200".
 #1068588  by glennk419

For anyone looking to add to their PRSL caboose roster, there are a couple out on eBay at this time including a new number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380455798848?ss ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380455768605?ss ... 1438.l2649

Bowser also has window kits available for these at http://www.bowserorders.com/.sc/ms/dd/e ... %20WINDOWS