Railroad Forums 

• Pre-PRSL ACRR terminal stations

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1064396  by rrbluesman

In pre-PRSL times, why didn't the Atlantic City Railroad both before and after Reading control, make an effort to reach terminal points that were not on the seashore like the WJRR did? WJRR reached Vineland, Millville, Woodbury, Salem, etc, but other than the Grenloch Branch there really aren't any other points?
 #1064406  by JJMDiMunno

rrbluesman wrote:In pre-PRSL times, why didn't the Atlantic City Railroad both before and after Reading control, make an effort to reach terminal points that were not on the seashore like the WJRR did? WJRR reached Vineland, Millville, Woodbury, Salem, etc, but other than the Grenloch Branch there really aren't any other points?
Well you have to remember that Woodbury, Vineland and Millville were really just points along the WJS mainline to the shore. The equivalent of Winslow, Hammonton and such on the ACRR's mainline. And the Salem and Penns Grove branches were actually individual railroads that were absorbed by the WJS eventually, much like the ACRR's ex-Camden Gloucester and Mt. Ephraim (Grenloch Branch), and what would eventually become the ACRR Williamstown and Mullica Hill Branches.

Mike DiMunno
 #1067158  by jrchristaldi

Hello,

There was a try to do this once in about 1979, or there abouts. I shaved my beard to take that job. One day passenger from Camden to Vineland and back. The was a new gasoline car called the SPV-2000. It has all the chamber of commerce, mayors, and so on on board. We made all of the stops from Woodbury to Vineland. Rode the same tracks as the freight. I was the Brakeman and Lou Ragone was the Conductor. It never panned out. Had fun though.

jrchristaldi - Trainman - PRSL - 1973-1983