Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #957795  by DaveBarraza

It looks from Google Maps that there is a transfer facility for Waste containers operating in Farmingdale. Who is the customer, and how often are they switched? I think some other facilities like it have popped up recently, does anyone know?
Thanks, Dave
 #957963  by Sir Ray

That's Coastal's transfer station, been operational for 7+ years I guess.
Lots of threads about it on this board, although most are over a few years old - here's one from 2005 discussing Coastal and some other then planned transfer stations.

Oi - wot's all this then? I just found this article from March of this year Town of Babylon, cemetery prevail in railroad dispute. Once again. looks like the NIMBYs are out whining in force, although admittedly this is a long term lawsuite from when Coastal first developed the site 7 years ago - they are claiming the land is zoned residental, even though it has been used for railroad activity for over 100years. Anyone have further info?
 #958474  by DaveBarraza

Thanks, sorry about the belated question, wasn't on the board then, and didn't know the search keyword would be "Coastal"
 #1029181  by hrfcarl

Question about the area to the west of the Coastal Transfer facility: Across Cpl Tony Casamento Hwy there is a building which had a siding right next to the building. Recently it has been removed, but after its removal this roadbed looks to be extended and graded to slope down in the direction of the industrial park west of this building.

Is anything happening RR wise, maybe in response to the laws suite referenced below?
 #1029254  by Sir Ray

hrfcarl wrote:Question about the area to the west of the Coastal Transfer facility: Across Cpl Tony Casamento Hwy
Heh, I guess you're using Bing.
The road is called New Highway (also Republic Rd north of Smith St I think), and businesses use that name e.g. Black Forest Brew Haus - 2015 New Highway, Farmingdale, NY. Bing (and Google to some extent) like to use the Ceremonial names, in this case Cpl Casamento
there is a building which had a siding right next to the building. Recently it has been removed, but after its removal this roadbed looks to be extended and graded to slope down in the direction of the industrial park west of this building.
Now that's interesting, could the cement block place be redeveloped?
 #1029401  by hrfcarl

Sir Ray wrote:
hrfcarl wrote:Question about the area to the west of the Coastal Transfer facility: Across Cpl Tony Casamento Hwy
Heh, I guess you're using Bing.
The road is called New Highway (also Republic Rd north of Smith St I think), and businesses use that name e.g. Black Forest Brew Haus - 2015 New Highway, Farmingdale, NY. Bing (and Google to some extent) like to use the Ceremonial names, in this case Cpl Casamento
LOL, actually I was using Yahoo maps. I know it as New Highway too.
Sir Ray wrote:
there is a building which had a siding right next to the building. Recently it has been removed, but after its removal this roadbed looks to be extended and graded to slope down in the direction of the industrial park west of this building.
Now that's interesting, could the cement block place be redeveloped?
Was on moving train, so I hope I was not looking too much into this...
 #1029754  by tj48

Happened to drive by this area today. Definitely looks like they have regraded the old siding that used to service the small warehouse. It looked to me like they were grading down to the Poscillico facility http://www.posillicoinc.com/content/con ... materials/ thats alongside the small warehouse. If it is a new siding not sure how it would tie into the trackwork in that area. It was interesting.
 #1029763  by Teutobergerwald

Did what you saw look like it would interfere with the west leg of the wye that comes out of the transfer station? BTW, I remember seeing CN, CV, DW&P, CP Rail and B.C.Rwy. plug-door boxcars spotted at that warehouse building back in the mid-late '80's and very early '90's. Don't know who the customer was, and then, nothing there on that spur....certainly not in the NYA era that began in 1997. Who was that customer & what's the story there?
 #1029810  by Sir Ray

Hmm, viewing the area via Bing (I know, but it's good enough), could this conceivably be tied in with the proposed double tracking of the LIRR in that area. I'd like to think that Poscillico is finally getting a siding, but of course railroads are unsuitable for carrying large quantities of bulk construction materials like stone, gravel, or cement. Bing view (probably 2 years old) shows double track (sort of) from just West of the substation off Wellwood Avenue, heading west, the North track forming the bottom leg of the Costal Transfer wye at New Highway, then the siding along the warehouse which ties into a switch west of the east Boundry of Poscillio's property, then the two tracks merge into one track which continues for a bit west till it once again split well east of the Rte 110 bridge. What a odd track layout, this could have been double track out to Wellwood at least. Yeah, I know, west of Rte 110 only the South track looks to be electrified, and I certainly recall during the 1990s strings of freight cars stored along the North track west of the Wellwood Ave substation.
There's enough existing right of way in that area to install 2 mainline electrified tracks plus a third industrial track to service the industries (well industry) around New Highway - now let's see what the LIRR comes up with.
 #1029959  by jayrmli

Just to make a correction to something that Teutobergerwald posted regarding the warehouse building. NYAR did briefly provide freight service there. Pergament took a few cars there when one of their other buildings which took freight cars either closed or was under construction. They leased warehouse space in that building for a short period of time.

During that period, not all of the loading bays were accessible for unloading boxcars. The first time they were spotted there, they could not be unloaded because there was an office constructed on the other side of the loading door.

Jay
 #1030047  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:NYAR did briefly provide freight service there. Pergament took a few cars there
Pergament? Man, the NY&A sure could pick those customers. And although Jay stated the service duration was short, I swear I saw cars spotted there for years - maybe it was simply used for storage like the North Track west of WellWood was.
Pergament's closed in 2001 according to Wiki, and that sucked because they made a pretty good spray primer (that and Martins paint I think - can't even find that on wiki - served as the basecoats for my model layout I built in the early 1990s)
 #1030186  by freightguy

At that siding the cars of bentonite clay were unloaded almost all BNSF/ATSF hoppers around 2001. The used it to cap the landfill every few years they would get an order of them usually during the summer. Always fun as a conductor sloshing around in that wetlike cement substance all over the ground. Later the RS 60 would unload these cars at YA team(Yaphank). Jayrmli can comment more on that. This business was on the LIRR before NYAR took over freight.

I can remember plastic hopper cars being laid up there(siding), which I'm assuming now were for Amco Plastic on the central branch when Long Island based the road freights out of PW long before Coastal. According to a retired/deceased LIRR engineer they always tied up the MP15ac's on the East team track. It was that much shorter of a walk to the freight trailer just east of the team tracks. Funny stuff.
 #1030311  by tj48

Teutobergerwald wrote:Did what you saw look like it would interfere with the west leg of the wye that comes out of the transfer station? ?
From what I could see it looks like it would interfere with the west leg of the wye altough I don't believe it is used at all. It looked like they would tie into the main on the track that runs alongside the Coastal facility that Coastal uses to push loaded cars onto after they come out of their property. Which makes me wonder how or when the NY&A would switch that since by mid day there can be anywhere from 5 to 10 Coastal cars on that track.
In this short youtube clip this is the track i am talking about. You can also see briefly on the extreme right the warehouse were the grade has been dug down to the west.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbEsKWD ... re=related
Last edited by tj48 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1030324  by tj48

Sir Ray wrote: I'd like to think that Poscillico is finally getting a siding, but of course railroads are unsuitable for carrying large quantities of bulk construction materials like stone, gravel, or cement.
Ever seen the Astro Ready Mix operation in Deer Park? Not sure how many time a week they are serviced but their siding is always full of hopper cars. The NY&A also leaves Astro cars on the siding track alongside the old Deer Park Station and just east of the Carl's Path crossing waiting to get into the facility. Heres a clip of the NY&A pulling 15 cars out of the siding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9ltjlh9Mo
By the way the grade down to the Astro facility is somewhat similar to what I saw in Farmingdale except it looked longer. So if this were to be a new customer it will be interesting to watch the NY&A pull cars out of there.
 #1030337  by jayrmli

The bentonite cars...Oh I remember them! As Greg mentioned, bentonite is a clay that was used to cap the landfills, and when the Town of Brookhaven needed to cap theirs, they would take cars in Yaphank on the team track. The bentonite would unload as a powder, and if it wasn't cleaned up properly when it rained, the water would make it expand and turn into a real slippery substance. If you got it on your boots, it made climbing up on a car a very dangerous proposition! The area around the team yard became prone to flooding, because the bentonite would not allow the water to go into the ground. Eventually, the entire team track remained underwater and had to be dug out and replaced.

Jay