Railroad Forums 

• Foreign RR locomotives on NS

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1007728  by SouthernRailway

Out of curiosity, why does NS use locomotives from so many foreign RRs on its trains? In the past 2 visits to the Greenville, SC train station, I've seen locomotives from Kansas City Southern and Union Pacific, among others.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for NS to use its own locomotives on its own rails? Wouldn't it have to pay some type of fee to KCS and UP and others for using their locomotives on NS territory?

Thanks.
 #1008067  by litz

It's called "power sharing" ... basically what happens is this :

a long consist is made up that goes cross country, east coast to west coast, or vice versa (or even north south, either way - a train that crosses a railroad's boundary during its trip)

Along the way, it travels through multiple railroad territories on its way to its destination.

As an example, consider a UPS intermodal train, moving from NJ to CA.

It's much easier to leave the locomotives on the train, and simply change crews. Considerably faster too.

The amount of time each locomotive spends making money for "the other railroad" goes into an "hour bank".

Eventually as the freight moves around the country, and the locomotives as well, it all usually ends up evening out over time.

If not, they simply loan an engine until the offset is used up.
 #1008811  by Dewoc19

its with my experience here in Chicago that NS typically doesnt have enough power to run a good amount of their trains the way they should be, so we end up borrowing power typically from BN or UP cause they have power galore

also like the last person said, its just easier to borrow an engine and switch out the crew rather than switch out the engine. When we borrow their power we have to maintain it and fuel it and when they borrow our power they have to do the same as well
 #1009730  by Gadfly

Dewoc19 wrote:its with my experience here in Chicago that NS typically doesnt have enough power to run a good amount of their trains the way they should be, so we end up borrowing power typically from BN or UP cause they have power galore

also like the last person said, its just easier to borrow an engine and switch out the crew rather than switch out the engine. When we borrow their power we have to maintain it and fuel it and when they borrow our power they have to do the same as well
How do you know other roads "seem" to be short and are borrowing power---or are they "borrowed" at all? It just might be that it is cheaper to "borrow" power than to buy new units. If NS is anything at all, they are shrewd at business, run a tight ship, are mean as snakes, and know how to squeeze a buck. The comment about "running trains the way they should be" seems to hint at a bit of regional prejudice. Might I point out, tho I am not exactly a "fan" of NS (I worked for them), those roads "that ran trains the way they 'should' be run" are now extinct, and Norfolk & Western and Southern who comprise Norfolk Southern, are very much alive and well!~ ;) :) :)

GF
 #1010128  by Dewoc19

Gadfly wrote:
Dewoc19 wrote:its with my experience here in Chicago that NS typically doesnt have enough power to run a good amount of their trains the way they should be, so we end up borrowing power typically from BN or UP cause they have power galore

How do you know other roads "seem" to be short and are borrowing power---or are they "borrowed" at all? It just might be that it is cheaper to "borrow" power than to buy new units. If NS is anything at all, they are shrewd at business, run a tight ship, are mean as snakes, and know how to squeeze a buck. The comment about "running trains the way they should be" seems to hint at a bit of regional prejudice. Might I point out, tho I am not exactly a "fan" of NS (I worked for them), those roads "that ran trains the way they 'should' be run" are now extinct, and Norfolk & Western and Southern who comprise Norfolk Southern, are very much alive and well!~ ;) :) :)

GF
i dont believe you know exactly what im talking about so ill clarify. Yes i realize its cheaper to borrow power than to buy new units, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, hence why NS always borrows power from everyone else.

as far as your comment about regional prejudice, yeah you could call it that considering i started off my post with "my experience here in Chicago" would indicate that im referring to the Chicago area.... considering that i work for NS in Chicago i can make a statement about this area since i work here.

now to the "trains run the way they should be comment" i mean its not uncommon to see a train leave out of Chicago intended to have 3 engines only leave with 2 instead cause we dont have enough power for a 3rd engine to be on the train or the 3rd engine got red tagged or whatever.