Railroad Forums 

• North Wildwood tracks

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#707338  by burkman

I lived in Wildwood NJ from 1960 to 1965. There was still evidence then that tracks used to run from Oak Ave. north to Anglesea. I presume this was the route of the original PRR.
Question: Did PRSL ever run passenger service from Oak Ave. to North Wildwood and Anglesea after the 1934 PRSL consolidation? When did passenger service north from Oak Ave. end?
Question: Assuming the tracks north from Oak Ave. were used for freight service, when were the tracks removed? What freight customers were served in North Wildwood?

Thank you.

Tom Burkman
 #954595  by bruce a.

Some years ago I seen what may have old Trolley car tracks . it may have been in the 1980's
 #954941  by bluedash2

There was a trolley service that ran from Angelsea to the Crest. That only ran from the 20's til around the end of WWII. It was covered in a chapter of the West Jersey Rails III book. Don't know too much about the freight service but I do know that the PRR way into Wildwood via N Wildwood ran along what is now Rt 147 and then down New Jersey Ave into the Crest. Upon the 1933 merger, they took the RDG way into town via West Wildwood. All of the PRR way into the center of town was abandoned. They did run south of Oak Ave to serve some freight customers til about the late 50's - I think it was '58. You can still see the remains of the PRR ROW along 147 going in to town as it's almost perfectly lined up with trees and some remaining concrete bridge pieces. I remember reading that most, if not all of the freight service was in Wildwood itself and not Angelsea or N Wildwood. Don't know when the old trolley tracks were removed. Btw, the 3 West Jersey Rails books along with the 2 PRSL in Color books have a lot of the info you need about the operation down there (yes have them all). The W Jersey books probably have the most info and should be available from the WJ Chapter NRHS.