• Cabooses

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by caboose9

Hi,

I list one preserved PRSL caboose - PRSL 251/PC/CR/18564.

The only other PRSL cabooses I've found reference to are #250 and #252. Are either of these still around?

How many cabooses did PRSL have?

Thanks, Roger

by mitch kennedy

Hi-this info is all from "West Jersey Rails I", published by the West Jersey Chapter, NRHS in 1983. They had an article by Bill Coxey all about PRSL "Cabin Cars", and I'll quote....
>>>200-201-202 PRR class N-5, original to PRSL as they were WJ&S prior to PRSL (these did not have the big steel collison posts as later N5's did.)
>>>203-224 class ND (wood, 4-wheel)-some were WJ&S, others PRSL, some from PRR in 1935 or so. All off the roster by 1948.
>>>225-243 PRR class N-5 transferred to the PRSl from PRR in 1949. Starting in the late 60's these were rebuilt an got new windows (some with protective screens) and new stoves (new stacks also) A lot of rebuilds got a darker shade of red along with yellow numbers similar to the old loco number stencil and PRSL decals like the diesels had. One got rebuilt (233) with the whole PRSL white caboose stencil AND a PRSL decal!
>>>250-252 were N-11's built by PC FOR THE PRSL in 1969 and used on road freights CM91/90, WY 33/34 and CA 294/295 typically. Some N-5's in the early 60's got white diagonal striping on the end beams similar to the Baldwins had.
Here's two links to photos I shot on other PRSL forum topics
http://home.gwi.net/~mitchk/ebay/240.jpg
(this and the 236 got this non-standard logo!)-shot in 1975 at Magnolia NJ
http://home.gwi.net/~mitchk/ebay/251.jpg
shot at Glassboro NJ one month before Conrail on WY33
Hope this helps! In HO, Champ STILL has PRSL "blue ribbon' PRSL caboose decals in HO, and also in HO, Bowser makes N5 kits with PRSL white lettering, and also in the style of 236 and 240 with the non-standard logo.

by chuchubob

233 in 1974

by caboose9

mitch kennedy wrote, "Hi-this info is all from "West Jersey Rails I", published by the West Jersey Chapter, NRHS in 1983. They had an article by Bill Coxey all about PRSL Cabin Cars, and I'll quote... "

Hi Mitch,

That is GREAT information!

Thanks, Roger