Railroad Forums 

• Atlantic City Press letter about CMSL cars in Rio Grande

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#409645  by lv414

If CMSL would have moved the cars last year like they promised, none of this would have happened.

#409978  by JJMDiMunno

Folks,
Please bear in mind guys that these cars, regardless of what town they are in, are being stored on railroad property. It is railroad property, within the limits of Rio Grande. Or Cape May. Or Whitesboro. Or Tuckahoe. But in the end, it's still railroad property, and there is no justification for tresspassing and vandalism.

It's quite obvious why no one wants the cars in their neighborhood now...because they are in such terrible shape, as a result of vandalism. I was around when they showed up back in the 90's, and they didn't look anything like they do right now. While inoperative, they were clean, and free of graffiti. They stayed like that for YEARS, and were welcome in Rio Grande by it's residents and those in the government, until Rio Grande began their rebuilding efforts around the area of Rte. 47 and Rte 9 a few years ago. That rebuilding attracted more people, and in the process, it attracted the good and the bad to hang around the area of the railroad tracks, which happens to be adjacent to a shopping complex which now has more people around it than ever before. When CMSL built their maintainance facility there back in the mid 90's, this wasn't how Rio Grande was. If it was like it is now, I'm sure they would have chosen a different location at which to build.

And they picked that location because it's accessibility, and sort of "central" location along the CM branch's former in-service portion between Cape May and Cape May Courthouse. They also chose that spot because of the existance of a long passing siding where magnesite trains of decent length were formerly stored (I wonder if anyone vandalized them back in the 70's?)

And I've never really heard any railroad enthusiast condoning and almost encouraging vandalism as I've heard here in recent months. This is historic equipment guys, and it should be treated as such. The concept of some folks actually seeming happy that equipment is being vandalized makes me sick.

As for available sidings for storage, let's see. We have "Bay Siding" between the Canal Bridge and the Cape May Point Branch switch. That's nearly inaccessible, accessed only by one relatively small road which dead-ends at the tracks. Where CMSL would park trucks, etc there while working on the equipment, I don't know. Second, we have the Cape May Point Branch. Can't store anything on that until some work is done due to the terrible condition of that track. Hasn't been used since 1983. Third, we have the wye to Schellenger's Landing, which is in worse shape than the Point branch. This is completely inaccessible by vehicle, as well as the POint Branch.

We also have a few stub tracks in Cape May City, which weren't available when the facility at Rio Grande was built, due to the fact that Cape May CIty was unavailable at the time. Not to mention that they're short in length, and most likely wouldn't store even a portion of what is at Rio Grande.

Additionally, most of the equipment which was formerly at Rio Grande has now been moved to Tuckahoe. The remaining equipment may be plagued with such problems as brake issues, and being simply too heavy to risk moving right now over the bad track north of Courthouse. Why they don't move them north to Tuckahoe, I don't know...but I'm sure there's a reason, as there's no reason on earth why they'd want to keep them in Rio Grande anymore...if anyone here thinks CMSL WANTS their equipment vandalized, they're way off base in my opinion.

Mike DiMunno

#410757  by kevikens

I was wondering about something. The reason for the decrepid vehicles is rampant vandalism that the municipality either cannot or will not control. Is there no legal recourse for the railroad to protect itself from an incompetetent or inept municipality ? Does not a municipality and its police force have an obligation to provide reasonable, adequate and effective protection for the lives and property of its residents ? Since the vandalism has been persistent and the authorities consistent (they never seem to prosecute anyone, ever) might there not be grounds for the railroad to take the municiplaity to court ? I am thinking here of non-fesance on the part of elected officials and their employees. If there is no legal recourse for crime victims from the judicial system and the police just what are law abiding victims supposed to do ?

#411382  by PRSL1972

Police and fire have bigger fish to fry. Is destroying the cars wrong yes it is-town has asked cmsl to move the cars out numerous times due to complaints. Police are not 24/365 babysitters for rail cars. They are there to protect and serve the town people and property. Please just move the cars as you promised and everyone will be happy. I would like to see cars moved and restored to their orginal glory too.

#411738  by kevikens

Prsl1972, I didn't promise anything to any one about moving these rail cars. I live 100 miles away and have no financial interest in this railroad but from your tone I get the impression that the town authorities consider the railroad a nuisance and want it out of their backyard. If this is their public attitude, and they are broadcasting these vibes to the the local community, it might explain why the repeated vandalism is occuring and why the authorities have been less than successful in preventing the damage or pursuing the culprits. Are miscreants trashing the rest of the municipality with impunity or just the railroad property ?

#411884  by rrbluesman

I've been reading on this, as well as other, forums for a long time that seem to be two sharply different opinions on the CMSL and it's equipment and operations. It's seems like on the one side there quite a few people around who would rather see the CMSL go away becuase they haven't lived up to their promises and so on and so forth. Then there seem to be the people on the other side of the coin who see great potantial for the future of the CMSL and thaqt their current problems can be brushed aside by easy strokes of a pen. I myself am on neither side of this spectrum, but in the middle. I think that the CMSL does have a lot of potential, but I keep waiting for the CMSL to live up to the promises it makes over and over but never seems to fulfill. First, where is the frieght service? It seems like their future is very much contigiant upon this, and it has been a promise for two or three year but I have yet to see it. Second, they need to adequetely store their passenger and motive equipment better. This is not the first time they have been vandalised, but it seems like the community doesn't care a lot about it except being an unattractive nuisance. The Police should have a better role in watching over, but the CMSL needs to help itself as well. But my biggest gripe is the continued failure of the passneger service to and from Cape May, it's constantly advertised for, but the last few years it ust doesn;t seem to happen. Frequently I hear that the bridge is the problem, over and over, but who is responsible for mainttaining it? If it is the CMSL then they might be their own worst enemy. Ifit is the state, then the citizens of the community and the railfans should be writing letters to get some politician in action. I support the CMSL is future endevours, but they have to live up to something in between before i am truly happy with them. I guess that concludes my thoughts.

#412344  by blockline4180

But my biggest gripe is the continued failure of the passneger service to and from Cape May, it's constantly advertised for, but the last few years it ust doesn;t seem to happen.

That is really the only gripe I have ever had with the CMSLRR.. I live in Northern NJ and for last few years their website has said that service to Cape May would begin! Infact I talked to someone last year and he said service would definatly, 100% be restored by this year! That is just poor PR and as we all know, it hasn't happend or probably wont this year!! If they are unsure they should just say service won't be provided until further notice instead of teasing all the paying railfans and passengers.. :(
 #412414  by Douglas John Bowen

Time for NJ-ARP to state once more, as factually and (we hope) as dispassionately as we can, that the Cape May Canal Bridge is the property of New Jersey Transit Corp., which is financially responsible for its upkeep.

We share the frustration with others here in noting NJT, for reasons of its own, has yet to address final, fairly modest obstacles keeping the bridge from operational order.

But -- perhaps unlike some others here -- we run marathons. We're in this for the long haul. And we don't dwell on "snapshot" daily frustrations or setbacks. We'll keep plugging. Expect to see us.

#412425  by prsl7668

Maybe NJT thinks it's not worth fixing for a three month operation.

#412501  by JoeBas

prsl7668 wrote:Maybe NJT thinks it's not worth fixing for a three month operation.
Strikes me, in a tenant-landlord relationship, that this is like a property (apartment) landlord saying that your AC isn't worth fixing for 3 months of operation.

#412560  by prsl7668

JoeBas wrote:
prsl7668 wrote:Maybe NJT thinks it's not worth fixing for a three month operation.
Strikes me, in a tenant-landlord relationship, that this is like a property (apartment) landlord saying that your AC isn't worth fixing for 3 months of operation.
But the tenant is paying and the railroad isn't.

#412584  by lv414

prsl7668 wrote:
JoeBas wrote:
But the tenant is paying and the railroad isn't.
Good point 7668... R.D.

#412615  by PRSL1972

PAYMENT $1.00 A YEAR

#412643  by prsl7668

PRSL1972 wrote:PAYMENT $1.00 A YEAR
Maybe CMSL should put out some money to get it fixed if that is all they are paying to not run trains. :-D

#412671  by The Vicarage

Why isn't another RR entity (perhaps SRNJ) going for such service? If one line can't do it, let another one try.