Railroad Forums 

• Enginelist and Decals

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#292165  by conrailforever

Hello all,

I wanted to know who makes number decals for the PRSL, I know Champ makes the logo, but I can't locate the information on the correct number font.

Also what EMD locomotives did they roster? I see a 38-2 numbered 2005 on eBay, but am not sure they ever had a 38-2

Thank you for your time

David

#292247  by Steam man

The pre 1967 lettering (or more properly in railroad terms-stenciling) should be yellow(or gold) . The "font" was called Craw Clarendon. For the post 1967 was a yellow (or gold) standard PRR block lettering. But this wasn't applied to the older engines except for a few. The PRSL had 10 EMD GP-38's number engines 2000 thru 2009 and they had the block PRR type lettering along with the PRSL logo just behind the cab on both sides and on the nose of both ends. The PRSL Geeps were equipped wtih dual control stands due to the lack of turning facilities. This added 4" or so to the low nose end of the engine as well as 2" to each side of the cab athwartships. They were not equipped with dynamic brakes so you'll have to leave off the resistor grid and thier cooling fans. Some of the earlier Baldwins also had a wood letter board mounted on the sides that carried the road name. I would go with the BRH-43 from Champ for the Baldwin diesels if you are doing it in HO scale.
Last edited by Steam man on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#292403  by DougD

The PRSL Geeps were just GP38's. EMD didn't start production of the 38-2's until 1972.

Doug DiGiovacchino

#292831  by conrailforever

DougD wrote:The PRSL Geeps were just GP38's. EMD didn't start production of the 38-2's until 1972.

Doug DiGiovacchino
Thank you both, had a feeling something was amiss, now I can get a few atlas GP-38's to work on :)

#292866  by BrianM

conrailforever wrote:
DougD wrote:The PRSL Geeps were just GP38's. EMD didn't start production of the 38-2's until 1972.

Doug DiGiovacchino
Thank you both, had a feeling something was amiss, now I can get a few atlas GP-38's to work on :)

If you look at some of the Iowa Interstate model groups, you will find some model tips for the PRSL EMD units. If I remeber correctly, they are not standard GP38's. They had extended cabs with dual controls. I know one of the IAIS cab numbers is 600. I think they roster 2-3 ex PRSL GP38's.

Brian