Railroad Forums 

• "Wildwood & Delaware Bay" ?

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#260955  by salminkarkku

I know that the "Wildwood & Delaware Bay" ended up as a feeder line for the "Atlantic City" [RDG] to Cape May, but did it build any more than Wildwood Junction [AC] to Wildwood? I've seen a map with a line to the west, towards the bay shoreline.

#261056  by JimBoylan

According to the Atlantic City RR book, it had a branch with a very sharp junction curve to Ottens Harbor.

#261401  by JJMDiMunno

JimBoylan wrote:According to the Atlantic City RR book, it had a branch with a very sharp junction curve to Ottens Harbor.
Yes, that branch was abandoned LONG ago however. Didn't make it into the years of the PRSL's ownership of the branch, AFAIK. Was used for shipping of fish-related items from the harbor...

That's probably the branch you're referring to though, because Ottens Harbor is slightly southwest of Richardson Sound...

If you look at a map, you can see a body of water that juts in to the mainland between Dock Street and Tacony Road in Wildwood. That's Ottens Harbor. It's not a clearly defined location anymore, but the branch used to pull right up to that docking area.

Mike DiMunno

#261573  by choess

The line to Green Creek on the 1912 map? From the name of the railroad, I'm sure it was projected, but whether it was ever built I can't say.

#261723  by Steam man

The original plans called for the line to run from The Wildwoods to the eastern shore of Deleware Bay in the Green Creek area. The W&DB came up short on funding when actual construction was started and the line never got built any farther than the connection with the ACRR at Wildwood Jct.

#261826  by gravelyfan

On another topic, when did Wildwood Junction station close?

When trains stopped running to Wildwood, or sometime after?

Thanks

#262262  by mitch kennedy

I believe it was sometime in late 1971 or 72 for passenger service and as a block and interlocking station. I'll quote from Mr Boylan's posting from a few months ago on the same subject regarding freight service. :
From the United States Railway Association's Final System Plan, Vol II, p. 497:
Line 1802, Wildwood Jct. MP 72.5 to Wildwood, N.J. MP 76.5; Date Last Used, 6/6/74; Lack of demand for service and poor bridge conditions. Trafic on the line was embargoed June 6, 1974.
(back to my post again)
It seems also that for a while before this, the budd cars would do the round trip from WW Jct to Wildwood and return and then proceed to Cape May or Lindenwold as there was not big enough demand for a separate car towards the end .The Rio Grande station at Delsea Drive became the combined "Wildwood-Rio Grande " station til the end of passenger service under Conrail/NJT. Someone with one of those green PRSL ETT's should have the general order regarding the end of this station and passenger service as well!
Hope this helps!
Mitch