Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Lines still not running

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#259650  by lv414

Made a trip down the shore this weekend with a stop in Cape May to see if the train was running. People at the station/information building couldn't help with any information on when the train is going to start. They said last year they didn't start to go into Cape May until July because the bridge didn't work. They have been calling the railroad for information but haven't gotten a response from them yet. Tried calling the railroad phone number but that didn't have any dates or times for when they will be strarting. Anybody know whats going on down there and when they will start? Looks like a short season if they don't start until July. Roger D. :(

#259721  by NJ Vike

I was hoping to jump on the Tuckahoe to Richland but I guess that won't be happening either :(

#260951  by prsl7668

Buena Vista worker at Richland said no trains will be running until Fall because thr railroad has to order a part for one of their engines. Anybody know which engine? Walt K.

#260992  by glennk419

prsl7668 wrote:Buena Vista worker at Richland said no trains will be running until Fall because thr railroad has to order a part for one of their engines. Anybody know which engine? Walt K.
Being that there are at least four serviceable locomotives and two RDCs that can move on their own, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in that story. PRR7000 did have its' compressor replaced back in May, that could be what this person was referring to. I saw trains running on two occasions back in May, both private excursions. From the snipets I've picked up here and elsewhere, it looks like Cape May service will run this summer with Tuck-Richland service in the fall. Unfortunately, none of this is confirmed at this time.

#261490  by NJ Vike

Glenn,

Thanks for the update.

Ken
 #263589  by themallard

COLD SPRING - You may have noticed a lack of Cape May Seashore Lines trains so far this summer. Normal service from Cape May to Court House will resume this weekend. New Jersey Transit has been repairing the electrical system on the Cape May Canal Railroad Bridge, which halted trains to Cape May. Much of Cape May Seashore Lines equipment, formerly stored in Rio Grande, is now in Tuckahoe, according to Tony Macrie, railroad president. Saturday service from Tuckahoe to Richland in Atlantic County will resume in mid July, he said. The railroad will operate three roundtrips daily, seven days a week from Cape May to Court House.
Cape May County Herald

#263621  by PRSL1972

The snipet I heard was :wink: :wink: not until summer. Movable bridge in Cape May needs some work. Took a ride to Tuckahoe today and all the CMSL road equipment is in the interlocking. I know the residents will like this to see old railroad trains there. Hopefully no one will vandalize them.

#263682  by prsl7668

Summer started June 21.... Same thing happened last year with the bridge story. How are they doing the deal with the ferry to bring people from Cape May to Cold Spring by train? Maybe using busses?
Walt K.

#263704  by lv414

It doesn't make sense that they aren't at least running between Cape May Court House and Cold Spring. Just because the brigde is broke,that shouldn't shut down the whole operation. Stiil can't find any timetables for the 2006 season. ROGER D.

#263820  by glennk419

I also stopped by Tuckahoe today. The F7's were coupled to the Alex DeCroce along with 7000 and M407 and M410 on the passing siding. The RS-3, N5 caboose and all three URHS cars were on the layoff siding, nice to see that they have made it up north. Unfortunately the Tempel was nowhere to be seen. I'll be heading down to Rio Grande in the morning to see what's going on down there. I also noticed that the website is being worked on this evening, look for some updates soon. If they're running this coming week, I'll be on board.

#264517  by prsl7668

All equipment in Tuckahoe this morning. No trains running for the July 4th weekend.

#264531  by glennk419

Sadly, I noted the same thing yesterday. I was really hoping to ride this week.

#264727  by NJ Vike

Was in Cape May this morning and saw nothing at the station so I looked at my SPV and Delorme Map and noticed that there is a line that runs to what appears to go to wards Sunset Beach. I saw the track near some mobile park. The tracks are visible looking towards the station but looking towards Sunset Beach the vegetation has covered them completely. I followed them towards Sunset beach to the next avenue and could barely see the tracks covered by the road.

When did the last train run here and who were customers of this line? Was it just freight or did they run commuter trains to the beach?

Also. where is Wildwood Junction? I looked on the map but didn't have any road names so I couldn't find it. It appears to be just north of Rio Grande.

I also noticed on the way home there are three sets of tracks that are under the parkway that lead to Wildwood (mile-marker 5) another at mile-marker 28 or 29 and one at 32. What lines ran there? Looks line one goes to Wildwood. One went to Ocean City and the other Atlantic City.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to South Jersey RRs.

Thanks

#264767  by Steam man

NJ Vike wrote:Was in Cape May this morning and saw nothing at the station so I looked at my SPV and Delorme Map and noticed that there is a line that runs to what appears to go to wards Sunset Beach. I saw the track near some mobile park. The tracks are visible looking towards the station but looking towards Sunset Beach the vegetation has covered them completely. I followed them towards Sunset beach to the next avenue and could barely see the tracks covered by the road.
When did the last train run here and who were customers of this line? Was it just freight or did they run commuter trains to the beach?
It ran to the Northwest Magnasite plant that used to be at the end of Sunset Blvd on the right. I don't think there was ever any passenger service to Sunset Beach,but I might be wrong.
Also. where is Wildwood Junction? I looked on the map but didn't have any road names so I couldn't find it. It appears to be just north of Rio Grande.
If your going north on Rt. 9 from Rio Grande about a mile and a half you'll see E.Edgewood Ave running off to the right. Look off to the left towards the CMSL main and that's where Wildwood Jct is or was.
I also noticed on the way home there are three sets of tracks that are under the parkway that lead to Wildwood (mile-marker 5) another at mile-marker 28 or 29 and one at 32. What lines ran there? Looks line one goes to Wildwood. One went to Ocean City and the other Atlantic City.
The three sets of abandoned tracks south to north on the GSP are the Wildwood Branch, The Ocean City Branch, the Newfield Branch (also known as the Turkey Path), then you cross over the AC mainline.

As to the questions, no worries mate! Ask away!

#264823  by NJ Vike

Thanks for the answers Steam Man. I love when a mystery is solved.

Do you know approximately when this line to Northwest Magnesite was taken out?

I think I will try to get to Wildwood Junction Jct. this morning to see if the station is still there. I did a Google Search yesterday and there are photos of it from this year.

I also had a chance to follow the line an saw the nice tower at Cold Springs. Very impressive.

I was disappointed, like everyone else I'm sure, not to see the trains running at Cape May. I like the station.

I wonder if anyone has followed those lines I mentioned into Wildwood, Ocean City and Atlantic City by bike? Can any of those lines be used as a rail-to-trail?