Railroad Forums 

• PRSL Signal on eBay

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#231781  by glennk419

Came across this interesting auction on ebay. Any idea where it may be from? I wonder of it's one of the signals from Tuckahoe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Railroad-Signal-2-h ... dZViewItem

Please note that this is not my auction, I'm simply posting in case anyone may be interested. Does CMSL watch this forum?

#231991  by Steam man

The signal could have came from a couple differrent places. There were two light signals (north bound and southbound) at Williamstown Jct. which was a "control point" that displayed red over red that meant stop and stay and could only be passed by train order authority when displaying this aspect. The were 5 searchlight signals at Tuckahoe Interlocking (# 26,25,1,3 and 24) that had two lights. There was one that was the approach signal for Winslow Interlocking on the Clementon Branch (R-241). Also the northbound signal leaving Winslow was a two light searchlight,but I'm not sure of the aspects this one displayed.

#232017  by JoeBas

Weren't there also similar signals farther up the Clementon branch as well (Barrington comes to mind)?...

#232132  by Steam man

JoeBas wrote:Weren't there also similar signals farther up the Clementon branch as well (Barrington comes to mind)?...
The entire Clementon Branch and Cape May Branch was protected by searchlight signals, the signals with two full lights could display different aspects from those that were "normal" block signals with one light. Barrington might have had the two light signals also due to the sidings and heavy drilling activity at the Owens plant but I don't know for sure. It would be a big help if the signal in question had a number board on it.

#232394  by David

Steam man wrote:
JoeBas wrote:Weren't there also similar signals farther up the Clementon branch as well (Barrington comes to mind)?...
The entire Clementon Branch and Cape May Branch was protected by searchlight signals, the signals with two full lights could display different aspects from those that were "normal" block signals with one light. Barrington might have had the two light signals also due to the sidings and heavy drilling activity at the Owens plant but I don't know for sure. It would be a big help if the signal in question had a number board on it.
The last one was taken down about three months ago--It was active in Oaklyn along the Beesley's--Maybe it is that one. No one seems to know where that one ended up.

#232405  by benltrain

how much would that weigh and how high would you expect the bidding to get? seems like an amazing railfan souvenir...

#232468  by JJMDiMunno

David wrote: The last one was taken down about three months ago--It was active in Oaklyn along the Beesley's--Maybe it is that one. No one seems to know where that one ended up.
That is not the R48 signal from Oaklyn unfortunatly...that one is held by a private owner, I believe already...

IIRC, the Barrington location had two signals...

R48 in Oaklyn did in fact have two signals also, due to it's proximity to BROWN interlocking...it worked as the distant signal for CP BROWN in it's last years...

Mike DiMunno

#232497  by glennk419

benltrain wrote:how much would that weigh and how high would you expect the bidding to get? seems like an amazing railfan souvenir...
I've seen several similar signals go for $300-400 on eBay. As far as weight, you're going to need a good sized flatbed truck and a crane to move it unless it's totally disassembled, and even then the mast would still weigh several hundred pounds. I have a GRS searchlight signal and just the signal housing itself is over 100 pounds. These things are all cast iron and were built to last.

#232645  by benltrain

glennk419 wrote:
benltrain wrote:how much would that weigh and how high would you expect the bidding to get? seems like an amazing railfan souvenir...
I've seen several similar signals go for $300-400 on eBay. As far as weight, you're going to need a good sized flatbed truck and a crane to move it unless it's totally disassembled, and even then the mast would still weigh several hundred pounds. I have a GRS searchlight signal and just the signal housing itself is over 100 pounds. These things are all cast iron and were built to last.
does this guy honestly think this will work then????

#232675  by glennk419

As long as the buyer has the means to move it, I don't see a problem. If I had a crane and a flatbed, I might just be all over that thing myself. I was hoping that CMSL might see this as I heard a rumor that they were looking for some signals for Tuckahoe, along the lines of what they installed at Cold Spring. They certainly would have the means to move it and a genuine PRSL unit would be all the sweeter.

#232677  by benltrain

how many people are going to look at that in the next three days that just so happen to have a crane and flatbed truck lying around? how to you transport a crane?

and where on earth did this guy get this?

#232692  by pablo

You'd be surprised what freakish stuff people buy, though cases around here are almost always from "back in the day" when shipping stuff was easier. Nonetheless, some of that stuff can be had easy, if you've got the friends...

Dave Becker

#233677  by glennk419

Three and 1/2 hours left and it's only at $113.50. Let's hope it at least stays in South Jersey and is preserved.

#234637  by Brad Smith

I just saw this thread.
I was bidding on it to $295 and would have gone higher if I were geographically closer, but since it sold for $601, I was out of it.
The mast had been cut in half, leaving two 10' sections. My plan was to take a landscape trailer with a ramp and a come-a-long and winch it on. Had it been in one piece, I have a trailer with a grapple loader (for lifting logs) but the relative small size of this item wasn't worth the extra fuel to pull that down.
As mentioned, you can find some great deals when you have the means to move heavy/strange items.

#234638  by glennk419

The bidding certainly went crazy in the last hour. The winner appears to be either a very dedicated collector or more likely, a dealer. Look for this to possibly show up at a railroad memorabilia show near you.