Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Lines website

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#243121  by Don Lee

I second the comments in the previous entry from Glennk419. There are few people that would have the guts to undertake what Tony has done with the CMSL and even fewer that would accomplish as much as he has accomplished. Yes, there are 10 miles that cannot be operated, but there are 20 miles that are operational including the restoration of a deteriorated movable bridge. No, not all of the Budd Cars are not operational, but all but one PRSL car has been saved in South Jersey. Too many people think that large crowds on the platform or lots of freight cars equate to megabucks for the railroad. The bottom line after expenses is the only thing that counts.

Many of you are in the South Jersey area. Why not contact the CMSL to volunteer some time and labor. It would help the railroad and it would give you a better understanding of what it takes to maintain a railroad. I live in Ohio and I am planning on spending a week of my vacation helping out.

#243180  by lv414

Thanks for the Thomas info. Bought the combo tickets for the two train rides at Straburg for June 23. Roger D.

#243216  by kevikens

As for the Cape May line we ALL hope that the line will continue to operate sucessfully and we ALL look forward to the expansion of service in the near future and are very glad of the service the line provides right now.*

*this statement is not to be construed as an advertisement for not an endorsement of any form of transportation nor is this statement to be construed as a sollicitation for investment in transportation stock.

#243311  by NJ Vike

glennk419 wrote:Sadly, I noticed that the sight is down again today. The message says it's been disabled, I'm hoping it's just being updated.
You can update a site without taking it down. Must be something else. Hopefully, it's not negative.

Ken

#243408  by JJMDiMunno

Guys,
I come back from Florida, and this is what I find.

Now, I'm not defending the CMSL in any way, as I never defend any operation against anything unless the remark is terribly off base. I don't know what the story is down there on the Seashore Lines as of late, but I know I don't have anything to say about it. I do have an issue however, when information that should not be made public is posted to a public forum.

Joe, I'm sure you're angry beyond belief if what you say is true (for the legal purposes of those reading this, it may or may not be true). I would be too, if I was in your situation. However, posting this information to a public forum can negatively affect operations for a company in many ways. Until information concerning a lawsuit is publically released, such comments can be considered slanderous, just like information printed in a newspaper which in the future turns out to be untrue. Even after a pending lawsuit is publically released, comments like that can negatively affect the outcome of the case, and can hurt the credibility and reputation of both parties involved.

I am getting rid of a number of posts on this thread at this time, due to complaints. Please do not take removal of a post as a personal act, please look at it as a question of legality. Some facts which shall remain public are shown below:

1. The CMSL website is down effective 5/4/2006. It has been disabled by the webmaster, the reason for which is a dispute between the webmaster in question, and the Cape May Seashore Lines. No further information is available.

2. There is no hard evidence of any financial problems within the Cape May Seashore Lines company. No information has been publically released at this point concerning financial difficulties.

And last but not least, I encourage everyone here to post HARD, FACTUAL INFORMATION which can be backed up if questioned. Honestly, someone's word is not enough when it comes to the reputation of a company. If someone finds a newspaper article outlining a pending lawsuit against some railroad company, than that would be sufficient evidence to release such information here. Otherwise, anyone could come on here and claim that they're filing a lawsuit against anyone, true or not. I'm looking to maintain an air of truthfullness and reliable information on this forum, not a sea of rumors and here-says...

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Mike DiMunno
Forum Moderator
Last edited by JJMDiMunno on Sun May 07, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#243640  by David

Well said Mike---Your comments were definitely need. There was a similar one on my forum several months ago. I took the same action, however you say things so much better then I can :wink:

#243765  by prr60

JJMDiMunno wrote: ...3. As far as I know, the CMSL will operate during 2006, however at this time, a schedule is not known.

And last but not least, I encourage everyone here to post HARD, FACTUAL INFORMATION which can be backed up if questioned.

Mike DiMunno
Forum Moderator
I guess that, if we are to limit ourselves to only HARD FACTUAL INFORMATION, the actual fact of the matter is that there is no evidence that CMSL will or will not operate since a public outlet for such information has been removed and no other verifiable public information regarding CMSL operational status can be found. Therefore, the correct HARD FACTUAL INFORMATION is that the status of CMSL operations for 2006 and beyond is not known.

Having gotten that off my chest, let me emphasize that I hope they do live to run another day. However, with Memorial Day weekend just three weeks away and a primary outlet for public information mysteriously disabled, my gut feeling suggests that things are not so good down there. Here's hoping that someone with some actual facts can put those fears to rest.

#243921  by JJMDiMunno

You're right 60. As I'm not one to intentionally "do as I say, not as I do", I'll retract the statement that CMSL will run this year. I'll now say that their future is unknown at this time.

If CMSL staff is reading this, I'd appreciate it if someone would contact me to confirm or deny. As of now, I've been supplied with no information, and questions to the company go unanswered...

To be clear here, I'm saying that I have no factual evidence either way concerning their operation during the 2006 season.

Mike DiMunno

#243971  by George W. Rosenzweig

Mike, I think your response was a valid and just one. Thank you for resolving this otherwise unnecessary messiness. However, one point, if I may: has the official site indeed been "disabled by the webmaster?" Apart from the deleted post by Joe (which seemed filled with allegations), I have heard nothing to suggest that the site was shutdown by the webmaster. From what I understand, having spoken to a reliable CMSL employee last week, the site was being remodeled and overhauled, and is expected to be relaunched soon. Hopefully, this will indeed be factual information; should I receive any hardcore evidence, I will inform you. I'm sure we'll find out the status of things very soon. Thank you again for your responses to this forum.

#243975  by JJMDiMunno

George W. Rosenzweig wrote:Mike, I think your response was a valid and just one. Thank you for resolving this otherwise unnecessary messiness. However, one point, if I may: has the official site indeed been "disabled by the webmaster?" Apart from the deleted post by Joe (which seemed filled with allegations), I have heard nothing to suggest that the site was shutdown by the webmaster. From what I understand, having spoken to a reliable CMSL employee last week, the site was being remodeled and overhauled, and is expected to be relaunched soon. Hopefully, this will indeed be factual information; should I receive any hardcore evidence, I will inform you. I'm sure we'll find out the status of things very soon. Thank you again for your responses to this forum.
I can tell you, that the site WAS disabled by the webmaster of the site, who happens to be Joe. Joe is also the legal owner of the domain www.seashorelines.com, and so is able to do what he wishes with the domain. As far as I can tell, the domain is not legally owned by the Cape May Seashore Lines.

This information is publically available, through use of the WHOIS database, which can be searched through a number of sources on the internet.

From a legal standpoint, the Seashore Lines would need to purchase the domain from Joe in order to gain ownership, or otherwise he can do what he wishes with the domain...

Take care guys.

Mike DiMunno

Note: **This is not a defense of any party in this situation**

#244001  by mgdemarco

I swung by Tuckahoe this evening. All of the CMSL's equipment was coupled together. Very quiet down there, but it was a Sunday evening.

#245674  by glennk419

mgdemarco wrote:I swung by Tuckahoe this evening. All of the CMSL's equipment was coupled together. Very quiet down there, but it was a Sunday evening.
Things were pretty much the same on Monday and Thursday afternoons when I swung by Tuck. It looks like the URHS car "Pennsylvania" had an impromptu "cover-up" paint job on its' flanks (to cover up some of the Rio Grande "artwork"?). A little further south, URHS "New York Central" and CNJ "Tempel" remain at Rio Grande along with the balance of the RDC fleet, let's hope that equipment makes it up to Tuckahoe shortly. The tower looks great with all of the windows now uncovered, you can see the levers from street level. I'm still looking forward to riding the Seashore Lines this year and will be following developments as they occur.

#245971  by chuchubob

glennk419 wrote: The tower looks great with all of the windows now uncovered, you can see the levers from street level.
CMSL is doing an excellent job rebuilding the tower!

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -29+03.jpg

These shots were taken through closed windows:
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=358897
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=358930
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=358931

Bob

#245993  by CJPat

Great photos!

Dumb question but...What's holding that track in place under the LV engine? Not a whole lot of ballast to stabilize it.

#246282  by chuchubob

CJPat wrote:Great photos!

Dumb question but...What's holding that track in place under the LV engine? Not a whole lot of ballast to stabilize it.
This is storage track, not running track.