Railroad Forums 

• Winslow Jct to Woodbine Jct

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#211445  by Trackbolt

Can someone tell me when the second track from Winslow junction through tuckahoe to Woodbine Junction was removed. Was the movable bridge over the Tuckahoe River replaced with a fixed single track bridge after the line was single tracked.?

Thanks

Trackbolt
 #212188  by JJMDiMunno

Trackbolt wrote:Can someone tell me when the second track from Winslow junction through tuckahoe to Woodbine Junction was removed. Was the movable bridge over the Tuckahoe River replaced with a fixed single track bridge after the line was single tracked.?

Thanks

Trackbolt
Hello,
I believe the date for single tracking of that portion of the Cape May Branch was 1957...I don't have a month available at this time however.

I'm not sure that the span over the Tuckahoe River was ever movable...today it is a fixed span. It MAY have been movable at some point in the distant past, however I don't know for sure without doing some research...

As far as I know, that bridge was replaced sometime after the single-tracking, with the current span. I don't have a year for that, I'm sorry...

Mike DiMunno

#212295  by JimBoylan

The "Atlantic City RR" book has a photo of the Tuckahoe River drawbridge, I think dated 1910. I have the employee timetable with the General Order removing double track between Tuckahoe and Woodbine Jct., it's either 1946 or 1962.

#212360  by George W. Rosenzweig

The Tuckahoe River Bridge that preceded the current double-track structure, was an 'A' frame drawbridge. In fact, the pilings to this bridge are still distinctly visible in the water.

#238511  by Don Lee

Winslow to Tuckahoe was single tracked on March 17, 1957.

Tuckahoe to Woodbine Jct. can be confusing. For several years prior to single tracking, the southbound main track was taken out of service by General Order during the winter months and operated as single track. It was restored to service for the summer season and then operated as double track. The trick is to find which General Order took it out of service for the last time. I believe it was 1947, but this will have to be verified. I have a 1951 Tuckahoe interlocking diagram that shows single track south of Tuckahoe, so we definitely have it pinned down to before 1951.

#242912  by JimBoylan

JimBoylan wrote:I have the employee timetable with the General Order removing double track between Tuckahoe and Woodbine Jct., it's
No. 10, General Order 1001, April 28, 1946:
End of 2 or more tracks at Tuckahoe.
Automatic Block System discontinued.
No. 2 track from 2500 feet south of Tuckahoe to Woodbine Jct., out of service.
No. 1 track will be operated as SINGLE TRACK between Tuckahoe & Woodbine Junction.

General Orders 1002 and 1003, May 1 and 10, 1946 say no more about this.
The next order in this book is 1105, Aug. 29, 1946, so there was probably a Timetable No 11 for the Summer, which could have reinstated the double track. Since G. O. 1001 was not in sticker form, but printed with the Timetable, it could have been carried over from previous days.