Railroad Forums 

• 500 Series Haddonfield-Camden trains

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#190597  by ajt

Question for old-timers about the 500 series trains which ran Camden-Haddonfield to connect with the 1000 series trains from 30th Street and NY City.

When coming from Camden, what was the move on the double track at Haddonfield to change direction to return back to Camden? Was there a crossover - hand or remote - at the Haddonfield station to get back onto the Camden-bound track? Would they run against the current of traffic for the half mile from VERNON tower to Haddonfield, then reverse? Would they continue to the next interlocking (WINSLOW?) and reverse there?

#190773  by Steam man

There was a crossover just south of Lincoln Ave in the vicinity of where the Medford branch turnout was. It appears to be a hand operated set of turnouts and not a remote crossover contolled by Vernon Interlocking Station. This is what is showing on my track chart from 1960. It may have been a remote crossover at one time, but I don't know if it was or not.. I would imagine this is where they went from No.2 to No.1 track, but the distance from Haddonfield Station to this crossover and the distance to Vernon appear to be about equal. Maybe one of the older Seashore Lines people can shed some more light on this.
 #190832  by JimBoylan

ajt wrote:Would they continue to the next interlocking (WINSLOW?) and reverse there?
Not necessary to go to WINSLOW, since there was a crossover and siding at Ashland for those local trains.

#190914  by chuchubob

Steam man wrote:There was a crossover just south of Lincoln Ave in the vicinity of where the Medford branch turnout was. It appears to be a hand operated set of turnouts and not a remote crossover contolled by Vernon Interlocking Station.
These were, indeed, hand-thrown turnouts.

Thanks to Helen and Lou Mountney's P-RSL presentation at the West Jersey Chapter-NRHS meeting Monday evening (Nov 28).

Bob