• Vineland service, need help identifying lines

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by BM6569

I was recently down in Vineland for a car show and found out that an old rail line was located not to far behind the hotel (Ramada Inn). I went back there and walked part of the line and onto a branch (switch was severed) which branched into two lines (one led to the back of a building and the other one kept going farther back. It was really over grown so I stopped there). The line looked like it hadn't been used in years. Rust on the rails, ties in bad shape, spikes out etc; There was also a siding leading into a trucking place. They had a good map inside but i couldn't figure out if the tracks were fromer PRSL or CRNJ. There was also another line on the map and it showed there was a diamond or something like that father into vineland. I couldn't find the sidings I walked on on the map. Any help as to identifying this line. I'm not from the area (maine). Sre there any older maps that would show all of the sidings? Is this one of the lines they mentioned in railpace as being used again?

Thanks for any help, Warren
  by JJMDiMunno

BM6569 wrote:I was recently down in Vineland for a car show and found out that an old rail line was located not to far behind the hotel (Ramada Inn). I went back there and walked part of the line and onto a branch (switch was severed) which branched into two lines (one led to the back of a building and the other one kept going farther back. It was really over grown so I stopped there). The line looked like it hadn't been used in years. Rust on the rails, ties in bad shape, spikes out etc; There was also a siding leading into a trucking place. They had a good map inside but i couldn't figure out if the tracks were fromer PRSL or CRNJ. There was also another line on the map and it showed there was a diamond or something like that father into vineland. I couldn't find the sidings I walked on on the map. Any help as to identifying this line. I'm not from the area (maine). Sre there any older maps that would show all of the sidings? Is this one of the lines they mentioned in railpace as being used again?

Thanks for any help, Warren
Warren,
Sounds like you were walking on the ex-CNJ Southern Division...now SRNJ's Southern Running Track / Southern Running Track / Vineland Industrial Track. At this time, that railroad line on which you walked should be clear of brush, as SRNJ is preparing to re-instate service over it.

I don't have maps immediatly available showing those sidings, but I'll see what I can do for you in the near future...

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!
  by DougD

Mike, Warren:
That was the CNJ southern Division he was walking, however it was not the SRNJ section but the Vineland Industrial west of the diamond. The Ramada Inn is at Landis ave. & Rt. 55 so he was just about where the W&W takes over heading west.

Warren if you had followed the tracks east you would have come to the Diamond.

DougD
  by DougD

The switch diverging to the north that was just east of the Ramada near Mill Rd. would be the switch into the Rear of Venice Maid that also went on to the cold storage warehouse that is next to it. The switch diverging to the south just east of the ramada and near Mill road would be to 84 Lumber.

Get google earth at http://earth.google.com/
its free and great for this type of searching.

DougD

by BM6569

Thanks!
Who owns the other line the southern division crosses at the diamond?
Is there on old station in vineland?
  by DougD

From the Diamond, Conrail Shared Assets owns the north south trackage (former PRSL)and part of the east west trackage (CNJ). There is a spur connecting the two at the diamond. The trackage from the diamond west to where the ramada is located is the Vineland Industrial Track, from there the track is operated by the Winchester & Western and I believe it is owned by the State of NJ. The Vineland Industrial also runs east of the diamond until East avenue (Owens Illinois Kimble Glass plant) at which point the trackage is owned by the state of NJ and is operated by SRNJ to winslow. The trackage north to south from the diamond is the Millville industrial track. Winchester and Western has operating rights over the Vineland and Millville industrials for transfers with conrail at millville yard and SRNJ at Vineland east of Kimble glass. W&W also operates south of Millville yard.

I think I got it all right...

Also there are no remaining stations in Vineland either PRSL or CNJ.

DougD