Railroad Forums 

• PRSL-SEPTA Connections

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#119985  by Usafcop580

Can someone tell me if SEPTA-PRSL had connections besides 30th st.? Such as Frankford Jct.?

#120233  by chuchubob

PRSL never connected with SEPTA.

PRSL connected with PRR at Frankford Junction and North Philadelphia, as well as at 30th Street.
With the construction of PATCO, which begn service in January, 1969, PRSL service to Philly and its connections with Penn Central (PRR became PC in 1968) ended October 1, 1969.
 #126934  by Vermonter

I was not a frequent rider during this rather depressing (at least to me) period of time. However I do remember that there was a period after which (help someone!) PRSL service to / from Camden was suspended but continued to / from Philadelphia. I do remember that at this time the Haddonfield station became history and as a replacement the PRSL began to service a station called "Utica Avenue", located probably in what is known as the Westmont section of Haddon Township along the Delair branch. This was just north of the line's jct with the PRSL main at West Haddonfield. At this point there was no longer any "jct" though as the line to / from Camden had then become PATCO construction.

I recall Utica Ave being a fairly busy station as the remaining trains were indeed patronized primarily by commuters. Is it possible that this service then continued from the time PATCO construction began until the time PATCO began operations? I also think that Frankford Jct, North Phila may have been served during this time in addition of course to 30th St. When construction was done as I recall, Lindenwold became the northwesterly-most station of PRSL and any passenger traffic to/from either Camden or Phila was then obligated to use PATCO.

Does anyone agree with my recollection? Was 10/01/1969 the debut of PATCO?
 #127057  by JJMDiMunno

Vermonter wrote: I recall Utica Ave being a fairly busy station as the remaining trains were indeed patronized primarily by commuters. Is it possible that this service then continued from the time PATCO construction began until the time PATCO began operations? I also think that Frankford Jct, North Phila may have been served during this time in addition of course to 30th St. When construction was done as I recall, Lindenwold became the northwesterly-most station of PRSL and any passenger traffic to/from either Camden or Phila was then obligated to use PATCO.

Does anyone agree with my recollection? Was 10/01/1969 the debut of PATCO?
Vermonter,
Service over the "main line" between Camden and Haddonfield ended with the beginning of the construction of PATCO in 1966.

This service over the "bridge line" to Philadelphia continued until October 1, 1969. After that point, service was cut back to the station at Lindenwold. The segment past Utica Avenue, now the Atlantic City Line just south of SOUTH RACE was placed out of service at that time. However, it should be noted that this line was never officially abandoned, although it saw no traffic between Park Avenue (JORDAN) and Lindenwold after October 1, 1969.

Oh, one more thing. Yes, the Utica Avenue station was placed in service as a temporary station after the bigger station at Haddonfield on the "main line" was taken out of service and (unfortunatly) demolished.

Take care.

Mike DiMunno