Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #861642  by chnhrr

Last Monday I drove through Quarryville PA. Crossing a bridge over what I thought was the mainline from Philadelphia to Harrisburg; I thought I would do some further research when I got home. I found out, as many of you would know, this is the former Atglen and Susquehanna Branch or ‘Low Line’. I was fascinated to learn about some of its history, including the many structures, trestles, cuts, stone bridges and embankments that were constructed for the line. I was stunned to learn that 200 souls lost their lives during its construction. This toll reminds one of the early railroad expansions into the Western United States, yet the line was only 40+/- miles long. The line was electrified in the Thirties. Could anyone recommend a book on the line? Also there is /was a line from Lancaster to Columbia. Since the A & S Branch was fairly close, what purpose did the Lancaster line serve?
(photo courtesy HABS/HAER)
 #861789  by Bobinchesco

Check out the book "Triumph II Philadelphia to Harrisburg 1828 - 1998." The Atglen & Susquehanna Branch is covered in chapter 6, Rolling Freight II. The A&S and the complementary Trenton Branch were part of improvements made by the PRR in the early 20th century to provide low grade bypasses of the mainly passenger Main Line. The line between Columbia and Lancaster is part of the original Main Line of Public Works, the state built railway ( P&C ) between Philadelphia and the canal basin at Columbia.
 #865259  by the sarge

chnhrr wrote:Also there is /was a line from Lancaster to Columbia. Since the A & S Branch was fairly close, what purpose did the Lancaster line serve?
Between Lancaster and Royalton, east of Harrisburg, the PRR mainline was a dedicated passenger route and was two tracks (Local freight ran the line, but no regularly scheduled through service). Through freights that had to use the mainline to service Lancaster would use the Lancaster to Columbia route, not the mainline via Mount Joy - Elizabethtown. The linked map from "Keystone Crossings" provides a great snapshot of how the PRR ran trains via the different routes. http://kc.pennsyrr.com/maps/images/traffic_east.jpeg

As Bob recommended, the "Triumph II" book is an excellent resource for this area and is a definite read.