Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #827596  by frankgaron2

Hi All:

I have an Uncle who lives near the PRR Chataqua Branch in Centerville PA. The SPV Railroad Atlas of North America shows an abandoned PRR line going from Centerville through Riceville, Lincolnville, Bloomfield and on to Union City.

Other than this one listing, I haven't been able to find anything about this (to me) mystery PRR line.

Can anybody fill me in, please?

Thanks,

Frank
 #828832  by Ron Mele

[quote="frankgaron2"]Hi All: I have an Uncle who lives near the PRR Chataqua Branch in Centerville PA. The SPV Railroad Atlas of North America shows an >abandoned PRR line going from Centerville through Riceville, Lincolnville, Bloomfield and on to Union City. Other than this one listing, I haven't been able to >find anything about this (to me) mystery PRR line.

The line in question was called the Union & Titusville Railroad. It had its beginnings during the oil boom years - about 1865. It was completed in February, 1871. The line was built as a broad gauge line probably due to the influence of the Atlantic and Great Western (Erie). It was sold to the parallel Oil Creek and Allegheny River Railroad in December of 1971 and a third rail was installed to accommodate standard gauge cars. It eventually became part of the Western New York and Pennsylvania empire and later the PRR. It was a short lived piece of railroad. It was abandoned between Union City and Lakeville in 1896 and by 1928, the entire line was gone. There is a siding, which serves a lumber mill just north of the OC&T station in Titusville, that a friend who used to work for the OC&T speculates might be a remnant of the U&T. Hope this helps.

Ron Mele