Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #691202  by Storknest

Hi,

I know about Tuscan Red and Brunswick Green paint but on later PRR diesels they look black. Then I noticed a close shot of one and it look a really dark green. What was the paint of later PRR diesels? Thanks.
 #692472  by Statkowski

Depending on your source, there either was or was not a paint color called "Brunswick Green" for the Pennsylvania Railroad. There was, however, an official color called "Dark Green Locomotive Enamel" (DGLE), which is the color applied to all freight locomotives. Essentially, it was black with just a tinge of green (depending on how the sunlight hit it, etc.). Take a 55-gallon drum of black, add 1 quart of green - Voila!
 #694782  by Pennsyjohn

Actually, the proper mix was 50 parts black to 1 part dark green.

Seems like a waste of green, they always seemed to look black unless you were standing exactly right.
The paint, though, was very long lasting. A friend I had that worked in the South Amboy shops said they
used a drum of the paint every year or so.

I wish I could get a sample of the paint. The auto paint store down the way has a mix computer that
could duplicate the color exactly. The did a very good job when I was fixing a model GG1 for a friend.

John