Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #746467  by WSH

Care to mention the documentary you talked about in the original post or any other good videos or GG1's?
 #746928  by ex Budd man

My favorite video was the story of "Big Red", 4877. How and why it was restored, interveiws and cab rides, and it's retirement by NJT. It ran on PBS in the 1990's. I have the original on a VSH tape which I copied to DVD.
 #748107  by WSH

ex Budd man wrote:My favorite video was the story of "Big Red", 4877. How and why it was restored, interveiws and cab rides, and it's retirement by NJT. It ran on PBS in the 1990's. I have the original on a VSH tape which I copied to DVD.
Do you sell that DVD?
 #748348  by ex Budd man

I believe it is copyrighted material and I couldn't sell it, but I could loan it to you. The title is 'GG-1, An American Classic'. You may find it on E-bay or Craigs list.
 #748441  by The tram man

It's a great show. Sad to hear that 4877 died on its last trip though.
 #754268  by philipmartin

Working New York division towers in the later 1960ies, it was a pleasure to see the streamliners of the southern roads go by. Occasionally a train would be twenty two cars long, and it would have to make a second stop in Newark to platform them all.
But did you know that the GG1s pulled Metroliner MUs during the blizzard of -78
One GG1 was pulling a Metroliner when it hit a tamper at speed. No harm to the engine crew, but if had been an MU head out, it would have made the headlines.
One winter fine snow got through the screens on most of the Gs, and crippled them for a week or so. Then the southern road trains came through to Newark behind their southern diesels. The Pennsy was double heading 1/3 or 2/3 Gs to get the power of one normal engine.
That four second You Tube of the G going by, blowing its horn, excited me. Jersey passed a law years ago requiring trains to sound their horn entering stations. The Gs coming into Newark used to blow their horns loud, and I got a charge out of that.
The Southern Railway didn't join Amtrak right away, but continued running their own trains, for a time.
Electric locomotives usually run with the rear pantograph up so that if it gets ripped off, it will not damage the other pantograph.
 #763433  by Samtrak

Just started on the Forum, and saw this thread. The GG1's had a Leslie A-200 Super-Typhon horn one of my favorites. Funny that someone mentioned the toilets, I'd rather "hold It" to Washington than use that filthy thing! They were in the nose, so you had to shut the blowers off to go in there. Being in the nose, all the dirt, soot and road grime was sucked in by the blowers and settled on the "throne" - LOL :-D

They were fun to be on, and wish I could go back.

PS glad my first post was about a "G".

SAM