Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #661158  by atsf sp

How many PRR signals(meaning the ones with the lights in a circle) are still in operation today? I know of one set that are. On the NEC past New Rochelle Junction are still operating PRR signals.
 #661196  by Statkowski

On the former New Haven Railroad, these were not PRR signals but rather phase-break indicators (one set was located near West Farms Junction on the Harlem River Branch, and Devon on the main line). At these locations outside power sources (Consolidated Edison and Connecticut Light & Power, respectively) could provide additional 11,000-volt, 25-cycle electricity on an as-needed basis. If the current's cycle phase didn't match what the New Haven was using (e.g., still 25-cycle but just a fraction of a second off), the circle of lights would illuminate and the engineer would have to power off and drop the pantograph until clear of the area.

From Rule 1604, found under the Special Instructions section of the Time Table, we find the following (formatting edited ever so slightly to make it easier to read):

Phase break signals consisting of a circle of yellow lights approximately 4 feet in diameter against a black background in service at the following locations:

DEVON - On anchor bridge No. 867, 867 feet east of interlocking station for westward trains. On highway bridge No. 48.80, 385 feet east of interlocking station for eastward trains.

WEST FARMS - On highway bridge No. 3.80 (East 174th St.), 8,187 feet east of S.S. 4 for westward trains. On anchor bridge No. 83-H, 7,913 feet east of S.S. 4 for eastward trains.

When these signals are illuminated all electrically operated trains, regardless of direction or track, will lower pantographs 75 feet before passing anchor bridges No. 867 and No 83-H and keep them down until pantographs of all equipment in train have passed 75 feet beyond these anchor bridges.
 #661459  by ExCon90

There's a set in service on the SEPTA mainline between Market East and 16th St. Junction where the power supplied by Amtrak changes to power from the former Reading side.
 #661498  by PARailWiz

I believe many of the signals Philadelphia to Paoli on the Main Line are still round position-light signals.
 #661512  by amtrakhogger

Most of Amtrak's PRR position light signals have been retrofitted to color position light (ala Norfolk and Western style) along the NEC with a few holdouts. Phil interlocking (in Philly) is still 100% amber position light as well as few signals at Dock Interlocking (Newark NJ). Interestingly enough, Septa seems to be retaining their existing PRR signals on the Chesnut Hill West Branch and even installing new (yes, new!) amber position light signals at Mt.Vernon Ave. section of Zoo interlocking which Septa and Amtrak are rehabilitating. Septa has also installed new amber position light signals at the southward home signals at Arsenal interlocking on the West Chester Branch.
 #661585  by atsf sp

Statkowski wrote:On the former New Haven Railroad, these were not PRR signals but rather phase-break indicators (one set was located near West Farms Junction on the Harlem River Branch, and Devon on the main line).
The part I am referring to is on the jointly owned PRR/NH line to Hells Gate.
 #661599  by amtrakhogger

atsf sp wrote:
Statkowski wrote:On the former New Haven Railroad, these were not PRR signals but rather phase-break indicators (one set was located near West Farms Junction on the Harlem River Branch, and Devon on the main line).
I forgot to mention that all the signals on the Hell Gate (except Manor Int.) are also PRR amber position light type.
 #661697  by inch53

There are several still in use on the PRR’s Vandalia [CSX] line, but maybe for not much longer. CSX has been changing out old for new on their main lines.

inch
 #661846  by ExCon90

The first two posts suggest that the original question was about phase-break signals rather than ordinary block and interlocking signals. If the latter, the new "K" interlocking on SEPTA is getting conventional PRR amber position-light signals (albeit on a pipe gantry, which just doesn't look right), but on Amtrak and in other former PRR territory they are gradually being replaced. I suspect their last stronghold will be the Long Island.
 #662366  by Statkowski

Huh?

From Pennsylvania Station to Harold interlocking the line was originally Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). It had PRR-style signals.

From Harold interlocking to S.S. 4, Oak Point (technically to S.S. 3, Bungay), the line was New York Connecting Railroad, which was jointly-owned by both the PRR and the New Haven Railroad (NH), but was operated and maintained strictly by the NH and had NH-style semaphore signals. This line included Hell Gate Bridge.

From S.S. 4, Oak Point, to S.S. 22, New Rochelle Junction, the line was the Harlem River Branch of the NH and had NH-style semaphore signals.

Not counting the phase break indicators at (formerly S.S. 8) West Farms Junction, any PRR-style signals installed would have been Penn Central or Amtrak, thus making them relatively recent (i.e., less than 40 years old) applications.
 #663990  by workextra

Unfortunately Long Island decided to go color light. Any new interlocking work will most likely be done with Type G color lights or something other then the legendary position lights.
As it stands now the LIRR is still a Position Light strong hold. Most location have Position Lights even some old PRR style signal bridges still in service.
consider parts of Main line Color light after the 3rd track goes in. Montauk will soon be all color. Except Babylon (till its rebuilt and Valley which has new Position Lights on the modern pipe bridges.)
The PRR signals at Harold will probably be replaced with color lights after the East Side Access work is completed.

How true is the statement that the components to the Position Light signal system are almost impossible to find and are more expensive then the off the shelf color lights?
 #665745  by Big2-10-0

Where I live they are still in use in some areas. Mainly going into Northumberland yard and going through Sunbury. They added the more oval shaped signals going down the line into Harrisburg and I believe they still use them in the Enola yard as well. I could be wrong on that one.
 #668175  by Big Bri

There is a set of PRR position lights at MINNICK on the Port Road.
But get your pictures NOW as NS is replacing ALL the PRR position lights on the Port Road with their own style of
signals.
SHOCKS and LAKE have already fallen victim to the "Black Plague".

B
 #676253  by amtrakhogger

workextra wrote:Unfortunately Long Island decided to go color light. Any new interlocking work will most likely be done with Type G color lights or something other then the legendary position lights.
As it stands now the LIRR is still a Position Light strong hold. Most location have Position Lights even some old PRR style signal bridges still in service.
consider parts of Main line Color light after the 3rd track goes in. Montauk will soon be all color. Except Babylon (till its rebuilt and Valley which has new Position Lights on the modern pipe bridges.)
The PRR signals at Harold will probably be replaced with color lights after the East Side Access work is completed.

How true is the statement that the components to the Position Light signal system are almost impossible to find and are more expensive then the off the shelf color lights?
New postion light signals are not hard to come by. Amtrak still purchases new color postion light signals and Septa has replaced PRR position light signals in kind with brand new amber position light signals at Arsenal and Zoo interlockings
(Mt. Vernon Ave.)
 #679849  by jgallaway81

The PRR LIne from Harrisburg west to Pittsburgh is still better than 50% PRR Position Lights. CP-Mifflin fell to color lights last summer.... on one side. CP-SO on the west slope has fallen to color lights as well.

The signal on horseshoe curve is all set to fall... there is a new signal bridge sitting in Rose yard ready to be installed... somewhere.