Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #834964  by mp15ac

Also being from Long Island the G5s and H10S.

As for non-LIRR Pennsy that would be the E6s, the Atlantic that outperformed some (such as the K2) Pacific.

Stuart
 #836169  by mp15ac

Allen Hazen wrote:Stuart--
Your three favorites (G5, H10, E6) all use the same basic boiler design. The "Standard Railroad of the World" would be proud of your choices.
Well, why reinvent something if you already have a good design?

Stuart
 #836178  by pennsy

The PRR was even smarter than that. The K-4 and L-1 used the same boiler for both engines. They were interchangeable. Yup, the Mike Boiler would easily go into the K-4 Pacific.
 #871228  by Mark1223

My favorite class of Steam Locomotive is the D16sb.

I rode behind former PRR 1223 as a child in the 1980's. She is the only Pennsylvania Railroad Steam Locomotive I've had the pleasure of riding behind.

1223 is my favorite, but there were two other class D16sb locomotives, in addition to 1223, that operated on the Pennsy until 1950; 1035 and 5079. All three of them operated on the Delmarva Peninsula where there was very light rail and wooden trestles that wouldn't be able to withstand the weight of the more modern and heavier locomotives.

1035 and 5079 had a number of modifications/modernizations beyond those on 1223. Both locomotives had larger 7000 gallon tenders and footboard pilots. An interesting thing about 5079 was that by 1950 it was the last locomotive in operation on the Pennsylvania Railroad that was built by the original Altoona Machine Shops (as opposed to the Juniata Shops and Altoona Works).

-Mark Cole
 #1203076  by jaygee

Can't say she's my favorite....But I'm gonna mention T1 6111, specifically after she was modernized in 1947. Both the Baldwin T1s were given a new look, and personality that uniquely reminds me of my favorite person...totally outrageous, massively capable, especially 6111, with her booster engine, and only too willing to kick your a$$ if you mess up!!! High velocity machinery...indeed!